Re: [Healeys] [O/T] Manuals

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] [O/T] Manuals
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> B+ro49fPlBfF0D0xLFVC4NzwDYmfZ5bq3KgZaa0wIO0LUxHxQlGU9OrXTCTUb/RgIiTO3ZQtCUXSu+oYcz2xynyCUylbecEBPos=
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 06:54:55 -0800

--------------6006tLhQNgIe9VVNo6rwiGkI

One of my scariest Healey moments was driving up Gough--pronounced
'Goff' I'm told--which is the backside approach to the famous Lombard
Street ('The Crookedest Road in the World'). There are several 4-way
stops to the 'summit.' Expecting the worst, I made sure to stop a car
length or more behind the cars in front of me but on one there was a
woman in a Volvo station wagon--you know the type ;)--who, when she
tried going through the intersection couldn't get traction and started
rolling back towards with her front tires spinning wildly toward my BJ8.
My first thought was: "Hmmm, I didn't know Volvo made FWD cars," which
immediately changed to: "Oh shit! She's going to front-end me!" I don't
recall if there was a car behind me, but I probably couldn't have
reacted in time anyway but, when she was just a foot or so away from my
front bumper she was finally able to pull away, front tires still spinning.

My Mustang has 'hill assist,' and it's kind of cheating but I use it; I
still get plenty of practice in my Healeys. The big drums in back make
better parking/emergency brakes than most modern cars have (including my
Mustang, whose p-brake is pretty wimpy).

On 3/7/2024 8:20 PM, cgmoog wrote:
> The story of my father prepping my mother for her driver's test. After
> teaching mom to drive, my father drove the test area with her riding
> shot gun, NYC tests new drivers on the street in designated
> neighborhoods. There was a stop sign at the top of a hill. There was
> also a recently filled in utility trench, creating a depression on the
> right side of the travel lane. His instructions to mom were to place
> the right front wheel in the depression so that there would be no roll
> back (a failing offense) when stopping during the test.

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
    One of my scariest Healey moments was driving up Gough--pronounced
    'Goff' I'm told--which is the backside approach to the famous
    Lombard Street ('The Crookedest Road in the World'). There are
    several 4-way stops to the 'summit.' Expecting the worst, I made
    sure to stop a car length or more behind the cars in front of me but
    on one there was a woman in a Volvo station wagon--you know the type
    ;)--who, when she tried going through the intersection couldn't get
    traction and started rolling back towards with her front tires
    spinning wildly toward my BJ8. My first thought was: "Hmmm, I didn't
    know Volvo made FWD cars," which immediately changed to: "Oh shit!
    She's going to front-end me!" I don't recall if there was a car
    behind me, but I probably couldn't have reacted in time anyway but,
    when she was just a foot or so away from my front bumper she was
    finally able to pull away, front tires still spinning.<br>
    My Mustang has 'hill assist,' and it's kind of cheating but I use
    it; I still get plenty of practice in my Healeys. The big drums in
    back make better parking/emergency brakes than most modern cars have
    (including my Mustang, whose p-brake is pretty wimpy). <br>
cite="mid:65C6475F052E014C@altprdrgo05.altice.prod.msg.synchronoss.net%3E%20(added%20by%20postmaster@optonline.net)">
      The story of my father prepping my mother for her driver's test.
      After teaching mom to drive, my father drove the test area with
      her riding shot gun, NYC tests new drivers on the street in
      designated neighborhoods. There was a stop sign at the top of a
      hill. There was also a recently filled in utility trench, creating
      a depression on the right side of the travel lane. His
      instructions to mom were to place the right front wheel in the
      depression so that there would be no roll back (a failing offense)
      when stopping during the test.
href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>&lt;healeys@autox.team.net&gt;</a> </div>
href="mailto:healeyrik@gmail.com";>&lt;healeyrik@gmail.com&gt;</a>, 'Simon
          Lachlan' <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";>&lt;simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com&gt;</a>
href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>&lt;healeys@autox.team.net&gt;</a> </div>
style="border:none;border-left:solid #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in
6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-top:5.0pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:5.0pt">
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"
                      class="MsoNormal"><b><span
style="font-family:&quot;Arial Black&quot;,sans-serif">I have a better
                          one for you. Early in our marriage our Lincoln
                          Continental gave out and I bought my wife a
                          Honda Civic stick shift (I drove a company
                          car). Anyway I had a devil of a time teaching
                          her to drive a manual transmission. She drove
                          her daughter to school. We lived at the bottom
                          of a hill and the school was at the top. There
                          was a depression at the top to channel water
                          and she finally learned to go up the hill and
                          stop at the channel and stop there resting her
                          front wheels there until traffic cleared
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"
                      class="MsoNormal"><b><span
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"
                      class="MsoNormal"><b><span
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"
                      class="MsoNormal"><b><span
style="font-family:&quot;Arial Black&quot;,sans-serif"><a
                            href="http://www.healey6.com";

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"
                      class="MsoNormal"><b><span
style="font-family:&quot;Arial Black&quot;,sans-serif">Matawan,
NJ</span></b><span
                        lang="EN-GB"></span></p>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"