Re: [Healeys] BJ8 1967 Engine Rebuild failure

To: HealeyRick <healeyrik@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 1967 Engine Rebuild failure
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> yU7BuZNpLTlKsYAhvS0g5x49guu/6j0PkIe9boA05V9yg7390AQ2fkRnPGeQyDpEReTXr3r8bVTUjXpgI9qgkuBA6Li579Ru2jWhLEdpB0nP8M8Ho4AnQS4Z
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 20:27:57 -0800
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
References: <017e01da5b6f$335273b0$99f75b10$@gmail.com> <CAGfzsZd3aKYHt+Y4iXJ_FfET-d=s5M0b4GNgH-NGivh-aD+T1w@mail.gmail.com> <022e01da5b8b$c1f854b0$45e8fe10$@gmail.com> <CAGfzsZeFjNze01dd298bNz8L-9vs7Ns+Y_07_MfC+TFqUmKfVQ@mail.gmail.com> <3173E0B5-C514-494A-8EDC-08A9949F75E7@visioncenterpc.com> <4f5a1445-71cd-4d60-9178-4f248a7dfc9b@comcast.net> <CAGfzsZeTb36PwQEGenLB_GiqHvG1ppPFG-rX65xXnq+SK-oLmg@mail.gmail.com>

--------------HeGxQHfDFtGsiDqgztqX7RU5

If you choose performance over originality/authenticity, why go half-way?

https://browncarguy.com/2023/05/08/classic-austin-healey-3000-100-6-converted-to-electric/

On 2/10/2024 11:38 AM, HealeyRick wrote:
> [...]
>>     heat index and car stays right at 195 degrees.  Lots of work to
>>     get the alternator to fit-I modified a bracket from a Jeep
>>     wrangler LS swap kit.   Everything barely fit
>>     longitudinally-there is one inch between the electric radiator
>>     fan and my water pump.   Had to cut the steering shaft and u
>>     joint.  Works great.
>>     Like Rick, I have the stock 3.55 Healey rear with a quaife
>>     limited slip diff and it works perfectly.  72â?? Daytona wire
>>     wheels with 205 wide tires.   Lowered the front spring perches
>>     -my front was so much lighter it was up in the air by 2-3â??.  It
>>     rides and handles so well.  My car was a 1959 100-6 so it wasnâ??t
>>     worth as much stock as a BJ8.  I feel my value went up.
>>     I love my reliability and the torque is amazing.  Car is so much
>>     fun to slowly cruise and then hit the gas and go.  I would never
>>     would have been Healeyâ??s first choice if GM would have worked
>>     with him.
>>
>>     Sent from my iPhone
>>     Chris Scholz OD
>>
>>>     On Feb 9, 2024, at 7:58â?¯PM, HealeyRick <healeyrik@gmail.com>
>>>

>>>     A V8 swap is nothing to be undertaken lightly. It's not as
>>>     simple as "dropping in a V8". That's the easy part, mostly
>>>     focusing on making engine and transmission mounts and cutting
>>>     away pieces of the footwells so the motor will fit with the
>>>     exhaust headers in place.  It's all the other stuff you need to
>>>     do that will really add the work. New electrical system,
>>>     radiator, upgraded brakes, fuel system, transmission shifter,
>>>     etc, etc. It's worth it in the end if you want a Healey/Cobra,
>>>     but you'll also knock off about 30 percent of your car's value
>>>     or more.  You can see the work I had to do to put a Ford 5.0L
>>>     and 5 speed transmission into my BJ7 here:
>>>     http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264 The Ford 5.0 is
>>>     narrower than the Chevy LS so less body cutting to do, but not a
>>>     huge difference. LS motors are more likely to be found in a
>>>     junkyard with low mileage now and with your brother a GM
>>>     mechanic, would be very helpful.  I did about 50-75% of the swap
>>>     myself, except for the engine rebuild and body fabrication. My
>>>     car has 350 hp and I run the stock rear end with 3.55 gears and
>>>     Dayton 72 spoke wires.  Much more power than that and those
>>>     parts will start braking.  A good engine swap is really a joy,
>>>     but if you do a bad one it will be a nightmare forever. Chris
>>>     did a really nice swap with his LS but he can speak to how much
>>>     work it was.
>>>
>>>     My first choice if you don't have that "Need for Speed" would be
>>>     to try a replacement Healey 6.
>>>
>>>     Best of Luck,
>>>     Rick
>>>
>>>     On Fri, Feb 9, 2024 at 2:11â?¯PM <rfbegani@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>         Funny you should suggest a v8 replacement.  Chris just made
>>>         that suggestion to install an LS1 with GM Trans.  My Bother
>>>         is a retired GM mechanic, and he agrees.  Did you do the
>>>         exchange?  What engine trans etc. did you use?  All options

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
    If you choose performance over originality/authenticity, why go
    half-way?<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://browncarguy.com/2023/05/08/classic-austin-healey-3000-100-6-converted-to-electric/";>https://browncarguy.com/2023/05/08/classic-austin-healey-3000-100-6-converted-to-electric/</a><br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAGfzsZeTb36PwQEGenLB_GiqHvG1ppPFG-rX65xXnq+SK-oLmg@mail.gmail.com">
        Bleah!  As you say, to each their own. There's plenty of room in
        the Healey tent for concours, modified, big Healeys, little
        Healeys, Nash Healeys, Healey boats, etc. Can't we all just get
        along? ð???
          1:22â?¯PM Bob Spidell via Healeys &lt;<a
            href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
            to an electric motor and batteries; done right, it would
            blow the doors off an LS or Coyote swap (up to a 100MPH or
            so, I wouldn't push a Healey chassis much past that, for
            long anyway-BTDT). How many owners do more than day trips
            anyway (my days of 5K mile trips are, unfortunately, in the
            past). <br>
            I wanted a big V8-powered car with all the modern
            improvements, so I bought a Mustang GT and left my Healeys
            as Austins (Jensens) un-mutated, and without the 20-50% drop
            in market value* (my survivors will have to sell my Healeys
            someday). 475HP--480 if I could get 93-octane--disks all
            around (Brembos in front), electric throttle and steering
            (several modes), 19x9/10 wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport
            4ses, IRS, MagneRide and Steeda suspension upgrades (the IRS
            is a bit shaky); 0-60 under 5s (supposedly; I'm not good
            enough and the A10s are quicker). Bigger and heavier; I
            reckon a Nasty Boy would take me on a narrow twisty, but on
            the sweepers and straights it's sayonara. The Mustang hauls
            ass, and it's fun, but the Austin-Healeys are simply more
            satisfying to drive--by far--warts and all.<br>
            Disclaimer: I am very much an "It's your car, do what you
            want with it" person. I've made small mods to my cars:
            Pertonix Ignitors in both; taller rear-end for highway
            driveability, Texas Cooler with shroud in the BJ8 but I
            never have, and never will, understand why people buy a car
            they don't actually want just to change it (owners with
            broken/missing engines who think 'Why not?' I can see). Why
            not buy a Saxon and build it up the way you want it from
            scratch? Oh, and for the record, I don't much care for
            breast implants either; just not the same.<br>
            * Just my observations from BaT, FB, mailing lists, etc.;
            I've yet to see a Nasty Boy cross the block at B-J or
            Mecums--doen't mean it hasn't happened--but the muscle car
            'restomods' with SBCs, LSes, etc. are a dime-a-dozen and,
            IMO, not particularly unique or imaginative (they do have
            garish paint jobs though).<br>
              of work.  Aluminum dual passage Wizard radiator with 15â??
              spal fan-I can drive in a parade at 110 heat index and car
              stays right at 195 degrees.  Lots of work to get the
              alternator to fit-I modified a bracket from a Jeep
              wrangler LS swap kit.   Everything barely fit
              longitudinally-there is one inch between the electric
              radiator fan and my water pump.   Had to cut the steering
              shaft and u joint.  Works great.
                quaife limited slip diff and it works perfectly.  72â??
                Daytona wire wheels with 205 wide tires.   Lowered the
                front spring perches -my front was so much lighter it
                was up in the air by 2-3â??.  It rides and handles so
                well.  My car was a 1959 100-6 so it wasnâ??t worth as
                much stock as a BJ8.  I feel my value went up.   </div>
                is so much fun to slowly cruise and then hit the gas and
                go.  I would never go back to the heavy iron block.  I
                feel this an aluminum V8 would have been Healeyâ??s first
                choice if GM would have worked with him.  </div>
                    HealeyRick <a href="mailto:healeyrik@gmail.com";
                      target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;healeyrik@gmail.com&gt;</a>
                    wrote:<br>
                      lightly. It's not as simple as "dropping in a V8".
                      That's the easy part, mostly focusing on making
                      engine and transmission mounts and cutting away
                      pieces of the footwells so the motor will fit with
                      the exhaust headers in place.  It's all the other
                      stuff you need to do that will really add the
                      work. New electrical system, radiator, upgraded
                      brakes, fuel system, transmission shifter, etc,
                      etc. It's worth it in the end if you want a
                      Healey/Cobra, but you'll also knock off about 30
                      percent of your car's value or more.  You can see
                      the work I had to do to put a Ford 5.0L and 5
                      speed transmission into my BJ7 here: <a
href="http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264"; target="_blank"
                        moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264</a>
                      The Ford 5.0 is narrower than the Chevy LS so less
                      body cutting to do, but not a huge difference. LS
                      motors are more likely to be found in a junkyard
                      with low mileage now and with your brother a GM
                      mechanic, would be very helpful.  I did about
                      50-75% of the swap myself, except for the engine
                      rebuild and body fabrication. My car has 350 hp
                      and I run the stock rear end with 3.55 gears and
                      Dayton 72 spoke wires.  Much more power than that
                      and those parts will start braking.  A good engine
                      swap is really a joy, but if you do a bad one it
                      will be a nightmare forever. Chris did a really
                      nice swap with his LS but he can speak to how much
                      work it was.
                        for Speed" would be to try a replacement Healey
                        6.</div>
                        2024 at 2:11â?¯PM &lt;<a
                          href="mailto:rfbegani@gmail.com";
                          target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">rfbegani@gmail.com</a>&gt;
                        wrote:<br>
style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">Funny you should
                                  suggest a v8 replacement.  Chris just
                                  made that suggestion to install an LS1
                                  with GM Trans.  My Bother is a retired
                                  GM mechanic, and he agrees.  Did you
                                  do the exchange?  What engine trans
                                  etc. did you use?  All options are on
                                  the table.</span></p>
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif"> </span></p>
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">Bob</span></p>
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif"> </span></p>
style="border-right:none;border-bottom:none;border-left:none;border-top:1pt
solid rgb(225,225,225);padding:3pt 0in 0in">
                                  HealeyRick &lt;<a

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeyrik@gmail.com</a>&gt;
                                  <b>Sent:</b> Friday, February 9, 2024
                                  1:32 PM<br>
                                  <b>To:</b> <a
                                    href="mailto:rfbegani@gmail.com";
                                    target="_blank"
                                    moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">rfbegani@gmail.com</a><br>
                                  <b>Cc:</b> <a
                                    href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                                    target="_blank"
                                    moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                                  <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] BJ8 1967
                                  Engine Rebuild failure</p>
                                  Bob. What you've been told so far
                                  seems correct. Without the main
                                  bearing caps you're in a tough spot.
                                  Maybe trying to find a BJ8 block or a
                                  rebuildable BJ8 motor is the best of a
                                  bad group of choices.  Too bad, I gave
                                  away a bare block with caps from a BJ7
                                  a few years ago for a donation to our
                                  club charity.  I'd put a wanted ad in
                                  the club magazines and Healey forums,
                                  Facebook pages and hope someone out
                                  there might have one. Try Hemphills,
                                  Healey Surgeons, David Nock, maybe
                                  they have one that needs rebuilding
                                  somewhere. Or do what I did and put a
                                  V8 in there!</p>
                                    "HealeyRick"</p>
                                    2024 at 11:12â?¯AM &lt;<a
                                      href="mailto:rfbegani@gmail.com";
                                      target="_blank"
                                      moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">rfbegani@gmail.com</a>&gt;
                                    wrote:</p>
style="border-top:none;border-right:none;border-bottom:none;border-left:1pt
solid rgb(204,204,204);padding:0in 0in 0in
6pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0in">
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">Gentlemen:</span></p>
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif"> </span></p>
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">I arrived back to
[...]
                                            do?</span></p>
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif"> </span></p>
                                        <ol type="1" start="1">
                                          <li><span
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">I am told the engine
                                              is finished because the
                                              Main Bearing caps are not
                                              available and even if you
                                              could find them, they
                                              would need to be line
                                              bored on the engine.</span></li>
                                          <li><span
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">I am told that
                                              finding an engine block
                                              for a 3000 with original
                                              main bearing caps is
                                              almost impossible.</span></li>
                                          <li><span
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">Finding an engine to
                                              be rebuild might be
                                              possible.</span></li>
                                        </ol>
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif"> </span></p>
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">My engine was
                                            rebuilt 6000 miles with
                                            years ago everything new, so
                                            I would like to find a way
                                            of fixing the existing
                                            engine, if possible.</span></p>
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif"> </span></p>
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">Please give me your
                                            advice.</span></p>
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif"> </span></p>
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">Best regards,</span></p>
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif"> </span></p>
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">Bob Begani</span></p>
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">67 Austin-Healey
BJ8</span></p>
style="font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif"> </span></p>

style="margin-bottom:12pt">_______________________________________________<br>
                                      Support Team.Net <a
href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"; target="_blank"
                                        moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                                      Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
                                      Archive: <a
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; target="_blank"
                                        moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
                                      <a
href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"; target="_blank"
                                        moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
                                      <a
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net"; target="_blank"
                                        moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                                      <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"; target="_blank"
                                        moz-do-not-send="true"

                                      Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/healeyrik@gmail.com";
                                        target="_blank"
                                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                                        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/healeyrik@gmail.com</a></p>

                        href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

                        href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

                        moz-do-not-send="true"

                      <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/drscholz@visioncenterpc.com";
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

              <fieldset></fieldset>
              <pre>_______________________________________________
              target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
              class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>

Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; target="_blank"
              moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a
              href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys";
              target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a>

              moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
              moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bspidell@comcast.net";
              target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bspidell@comcast.net</a>

</pre>
          Support Team.Net <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/healeyrik@gmail.com</a><br>

--------------HeGxQHfDFtGsiDqgztqX7RU5--

--===============0865923303567434241==