Re: [Healeys] Steering Box

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering Box
From: Donald Tate <bn2cars@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 13:11:13 -0500
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Hi Bob,
It is my opinion that the surround also needs to be removed.  Even then it took
some maneuvering to get it out.

I suppose you could try it with the surround in place and always remove it
later.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Don
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 24, 2024, at 8:05â?¯PM, Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the info, Don.  So, the surround has to come out in addition to
> the grille? Sounds like even more of a hassle :(
>
> Tom Monaco told me his son R&R's a box w/o removing the grille, but couldn't
> tell me how he did it. Simon was kind enough to send a bunch of info, I'll
> did into it as soon as my tractor overhaul is done and it warms up a tad
> (it's been in the 50s!!!).
>
> Bob
>

>> On 1/24/2024 4:59 PM, Donald Tate wrote:
>> Hi Bob,
>> Like you I purchased an uprated steering column for my 65 BJ8.  Today a
>> buddy and I removed the old one and replaced it with the new one.
>> I donâ??t believe it can be done with the grille surround in place as every
>> bit of room was needed.  We even had to remove the 2 plates at the fire wall
>> to gain the extra space afforded by the holes in the firewall.  We didnâ??t
>> need to mess with the radiator.
>> Otherwise it was fairly straightforward and it was made easier with a helper.
>>
>> Let me know if I can answer any questions.
>>
>> Don Tate
>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> Listers,
>>>
>>> I bought a DWM uprated steering box/shaft for my BJ8 several years ago. I'm
>>> getting a round tuit to install it, but removing the grill looks to be a
>>> bit of a pain. My questions:
>>>
>>> 1) A noted Healey shop told me they were able to R&R a steering box on a
>>> 6-cyl car--the 4-cyl grills aren't hard to remove--without removing the