Re: [Healeys] It's time to let it go

To: Jim Ryan <ryan@jimryan.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] It's time to let it go
From: i erbs <eyera3000@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 09:16:38 -0700
Cc: List Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000cfc85a05eb1511cf

Years ago a friends corvair convertible was stolen. When he got it back it
had been detailed, the top was fixed and it had a full tank of gas...

On Sat, Oct 15, 2022, 6:11 AM Jim Ryan via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
wrote:

> Speaking of themes...
>
> That BJ 7 I bought in 1974 was stolen a week after I got it, no
> insurance.3 months later I had moved and was getting ready to go look at an
> MGB for sale when I thought I would give the Boston police one more call.
> They said they were glad to hear from me because they found the car a month
> ago, but because I had moved they had no way to get ahold of me. So I took
> a bus and hitched a ride out to Groton Massachusetts where I found it
> sitting at a gas station. Funny thing was,  it was also full of camping
> equipment, that wasn't there when it got stolen. Everything was in the car
> my tools, nick-nacks, the only thing that was damaged was the trunk lock
> and the ignition. I guess they would just turn the battery off to stop it,
> then turn it on to start it up.
>
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2022, 12:02 PM Christopher Moog via Healeys <
> healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:
>
>> What is this a running theme. I purchased a BJ7 in the mid 1990s. Started
>> restoring. Moved several times. When I retrieved it from a rental garage
>> (four years ago after having stored it five years) the interior had been
>> stolen. It was in separate boxes waiting for me to finish the body. So now
>> I have no seats, carpets, door cards or interior trim. It was all leather
>> and worth several grand. That took the steam out of me finishing the car.
>>
>> I'm retiring this spring so I hope to put the time (and money) into get
>> it done. Well see if this happens or if I too end up selling and enjoying a
>> different car. Though I could give it to a 20 something nephew has the
>> skill to finish it. He is not yet shown interest in something like that,
>> he's more into mid-80s pick-up trucks. But tastes change.
>>
>> Good luck with the paring down of projects. Life gets shorter and we all
>> have to decide what we want to spend our time doing. Driving a Bugeye is a
>> lot more fun to most people than restoring a car.
>>
>> On 10/14/2022 9:10 AM, Jim Ryan wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, fat fingered that last email.
>>
>> What I was going to say was how similar your story is to mine. I bought a
>> BJ 7 in 1974, never really fully restored it as I wanted to, and neither of
>> my son's wanted it. So I ended up selling it for what I could get about
>> four years ago and picked up a little Bugeye driver. I still have it and in
>> some ways enjoying it more than the big Healy.
>>
>> Anyway, what part of New Hampshire are you in? I'm on the Seacoast.
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 14, 2022, 9:06 AM Jim Ryan <ryan@jimryan.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Kent,

>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ryan@jimryan.com

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/eyera3000@gmail.com

--000000000000cfc85a05eb1511cf

he got it back it had been detailed, the top was fixed and it had a full ta=
gmail_attr">On Sat, Oct 15, 2022, 6:11 AM Jim Ryan via Healeys &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br=
left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"auto">Speaking of themes.=
was stolen a week after I got it, no insurance.3 months later I had moved a=
nd was getting ready to go look at an MGB for sale when I thought I would g=
ive the Boston police one more call. They said they were glad to hear from =
me because they found the car a month ago, but because I had moved they had=
 no way to get ahold of me. So I took a bus and hitched a ride out to Groto=
n Massachusetts where I found it sitting at a gas station. Funny thing was,=
=C2=A0 it was also full of camping equipment, that wasn&#39;t there when it=
 got stolen. Everything was in the car my tools, nick-nacks, the only thing=
 that was damaged was the trunk lock and the ignition. I guess they would j=
ust turn the battery off to stop it, then turn it on to start it up.</div><=
n Fri, Oct 14, 2022, 12:02 PM Christopher Moog via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"m=
ailto:healeys@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeys@=
yle=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
    What is this a running theme. I purchased a BJ7 in the mid 1990s.
    Started restoring. Moved several times. When I retrieved it from a
    rental garage (four years ago after having stored it five years) the
    interior had been stolen. It was in separate boxes waiting for me to
    finish the body. So now I have no seats, carpets, door cards or
    interior trim. It was all leather and worth several grand. That took
    the steam out of me finishing the car. <br>
    I&#39;m retiring this spring so I hope to put the time (and money) into
    get it done. Well see if this happens or if I too end up selling and
    enjoying a different car. Though I could give it to a 20 something
    nephew has the skill to finish it. He is not yet shown interest in
    something like that, he&#39;s more into mid-80s pick-up trucks. But
    tastes change.<br>
    Good luck with the paring down of projects. Life gets shorter and we
    all have to decide what we want to spend our time doing. Driving a
    Bugeye is a lot more fun to most people than restoring a car.<br>
     =20
          story is to mine. I bought a BJ 7 in 1974, never really fully
          restored it as I wanted to, and neither of my son&#39;s wanted it=
.
          So I ended up selling it for what I could get about four years
          ago and picked up a little Bugeye driver. I still have it and
          in some ways enjoying it more than the big Healy.</div>
          I&#39;m on the Seacoast.</div>
          Jim Ryan &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ryan@jimryan.com"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ryan@jimryan.com</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
2
              PM Kent McLean &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kentmclean@comcast.net"; =
rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">kentmclean@comca=
st.net</a>&gt;
              wrote:<br>
rder-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I&#39;ve
              owned my 1956 100 since April of 1974. I bought it with
              the intention of restoring it, but life has gotten in the
              way and it is still waiting for my attention. It is with a
              heavy heart that I&#39;ve resigned myself to passing along th=
              dream.=C2=A0 Contact me off-list, subject line BN2, and I&#39=
;ll
              give you the details. First detail: it is located in New
              Hampshire, USA. The list has first dibs; if it doesn&#39;t
              sell here, it goes to eBay.<br>
              Kent McLean<br>
              &#39;56 100 and &#39;60 Bugeye<br>
              Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; =
rel=3D"noreferrer
                noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_bla=
nk">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
              Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.75<br>
              Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; re=
l=3D"noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_bla=
nk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
ferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http:=
//autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
                noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">Healeys=
@autox.team.net</a><br>
l=3D"noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_bla=
nk">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
options/healeys/ryan@jimryan.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer n=
oreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/optio=
ns/healeys/ryan@jimryan.com</a><br>