Re: [Healeys] Starter electrical issues

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Starter electrical issues
From: Roland Wilhelmy via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 12:27:58 -0700
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

--000000000000cb8d0405dbed3e65

The battery switch is on the light duty side but it must carry the full
starting current. I can imagine that the terminals inside the switch get
hot and warp just a bit disconnecting the battery. Then if given a chance
to cool the terminals return to make connection once more.

Side note: Roger Moment recommends limiting the length of time running the
starter when firing up a newly rebuilt engine and getting oil pressure,
etc. Give the poor switch time to recover.

-Roland

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022, 11:53 AM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:

> The starter balking is understandable--at least, intuitively--but all
> the other electricals ceasing to work isn't (assuming the battery is
> still connected). After all, this isn't a modern car with a PCM, ECU,
> etc; we're just talking copper wire here. My folks' Lincoln would die
> when one of the CoPs would put a voltage spike on its primary lead,
> which would knock the PCM out cold. No such silliness in a Healey.
>
> Just to be contrarian, maybe the starter is causing a dead short, somehow=
?

> On 4/5/2022 4:41 AM, Bob Begani via Healeys wrote:
> > Perry, the ground is negative.  From comments made by others am just
> going to replace the ground strap and with serrated washers so they dig
> into the metal especially on the frame.  Will keep all advised.
> >
> > Bob

en a chance to cool the terminals return to make connection once more.=C2=
ds limiting the length of time running the starter when firing up a newly r=
ebuilt engine and getting oil pressure, etc. Give the poor switch time to r=
il_attr">On Tue, Apr 5, 2022, 11:53 AM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bs=
e class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc sol=
id;padding-left:1ex">The starter balking is understandable--at least, intui=
tively--but all <br>
the other electricals ceasing to work isn&#39;t (assuming the battery is <b=
r>
still connected). After all, this isn&#39;t a modern car with a PCM, ECU, <=
br>
etc; we&#39;re just talking copper wire here. My folks&#39; Lincoln would d=
ie <br>
when one of the CoPs would put a voltage spike on its primary lead, <br>
which would knock the PCM out cold. No such silliness in a Healey.<br>
Just to be contrarian, maybe the starter is causing a dead short, somehow?<=
br>
On 4/5/2022 4:41 AM, Bob Begani via Healeys wrote:<br>
&gt; Perry, the ground is negative.=C2=A0 From comments made by others am j=
ust going to replace the ground strap and with serrated washers so they dig=
 into the metal especially on the frame.=C2=A0 Will keep all advised.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Bob<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; -----Original Message-----<br>
&gt; From: Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net"; ta=
rget=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeys-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt; O=
n Behalf Of Perry Small via Healeys<br>
&gt; Sent: Monday, April 4, 2022 7:32 PM<br>
&gt; To: healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_b=
lank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Subject: [Healeys] Starter electrical issues<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Bob<br>
&gt; Is it possible that the after market high torque starter that you are =
using is set up for negative ground only? For a contact type starter like t=
he original Lucas, it doesn=E2=80=99t care but perhaps your replacement uni=
t has protection built in.<br>
&gt; P<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Sent from my iPhone<br>