Re: [Healeys] 100 lifters

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 lifters
From: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 07:20:23 -0400
Cc: Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
References: <CAB3i7L+DHRkPcyxvSh3aY9PPO1W1=snqqC7RbY3ddXVxC5K9NA@mail.gmail.com> <29ff51fd-3541-4df6-b508-a3cd85812bc9@me.com> <CAB3i7L+s-sAKSef5ZMCoVJ17Y2Yqu8a4ewvLkEDmqzTay4TxSQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAPTa0B41Utb9Nq9CiMT5VkqYbNm+VcZtd_5mVe5f7DykLtP=xw@mail.gmail.com> <CAFBXTkLjjs7wwTTS1MK+grGgo0n4Q=YtEHzTwiC6o4Uj52UhaA@mail.gmail.com> <CABXhz8-Wo8FFLD5S3vnx3wzEbmL_KEbqsX7CCD7d44Hb_W1S6A@mail.gmail.com> <49c8a019-23a2-9a81-ccac-fe5873e84f60@comcast.net>
--===============8043283747198147400==

--000000000000df7bee05c91e922e

Bob--

I should have added that this incident coincided with a recent lowering by
DOT of lead and zinc contents and what might have been fine a year
earlier was no longer sufficient to protect the new cam and lifters.  I'll
certainly plead guilty to the sometimes-specious thinking that "more is
better", but on the other hand "less" is sometimes not enough, and therein
lies the dilemma.

Best--Michael Oritt

--
Best--Michael

--000000000000df7bee05c91e922e

lass=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff">I should have added that thi=
s incident coincided with a recent lowering by DOT of lead and zinc content=
s and what might have been fine a year earlier=C2=A0was no longer=C2=A0suff=
icient to protect the new cam and lifters.=C2=A0 I&#39;ll certainly=C2=A0pl=
ead guilty to the sometimes-specious thinking that=C2=A0&quot;more is bette=
r&quot;, but on the other hand &quot;less&quot; is sometimes not enough, an=
d therein lies the dilemma.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"colo=
r" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 11:00 PM Bob Spidell via Hea=
leys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>healeys@autox.team.net</=
a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0p=
x 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
    Subject to debate. The literature I&#39;ve seen from the oil companies
    stress that their products are carefully formulated, and adding
    anything to them is not a good idea. Also, ZDDP was first used as a
    detergent, with its wear surface protection a surprising side-effect
    (like how tetra-ethyl lead was added to gas to increase octane
    rating, and its cushioning and protecting of valve seats was a
    side-effect). But, it&#39;s human nature to think &quot;If a little of =
this
    is good, a lot HAS to be better,&quot; but it&#39;s not necessarily tru=
e.
    ZDDP is corrosive in high concentrations; the &#39;sweet spot&#39; appe=
ars
    to be about 1,500PPM. <br>
    Ordinarily, I&#39;d attribute Michael&#39;s failed lifters (cam?) to
    improper break-in, but I&#39;m sure M used proper procedures, which
    makes this doubly mysterious and concerning. I don&#39;t know how bucke=
    lifters would change the outcome; their main benefit seems to be
    reduced wear of the block.<br>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
          1959 AH 100-6<br>
          1967 MGB<br>
          Milwaukie, OR</div>
          Alan Seigrist &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healey.nut@gmail.com"; target=
=3D"_blank">healey.nut@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
            is okay?=C2=A0 I have Castrol 20W-50 in my motor... also use th=
            Valvoline too.</div>
              11:11 PM Michael Oritt via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:heal=
eys@autox.team.net" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">healeys@autox.team=
.net</a>&gt;
              wrote:<br>
.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
>In
                  about 2007 just before ZDDP content in motor oils
                  became a commonly talked-about issue in vintage racing
                  communities, I bought a new race engine for my
                  MGA-powered Elva Courier from a reputable builder who
                  recommended=C2=A0I use Mobil 1.=C2=A0 Somewhere during th=
e first
                  race weekend performance fell off and upon disassembly
                  it was determined that the cam lobes had been damaged
                  due to wear from the lifters.=C2=A0=C2=A0</div>
>After
                  replacing the cam and lifters I began=C2=A0using RP racin=
                  oil and throwing in ZDDP additive for good measure.=C2=A0
                  Though the Royal Purple probably contained sufficient
                  zddp on its own and some folks cautioned=C2=A0against too
                  high levels of zinc I have=C2=A0 continued this combinati=
on
                  and have not lost a cam, etc. since.</div>
>YMMV....=C2=A0=C2=A0</div>
                  11:16 PM Michael Salter &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:michaelsalt=
er@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">michaelsalter@gmail.com<=
/a>&gt;
                  wrote:<br>
px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                    to adjust the tappets which had initially been
                    silent after 2000 miles and then again at 4500.
                      audible and had previously been silent.</div>
                      changes there was &quot;fir&quot; in the drain plug m=
agnet.</div>
                      destroyed a very low mileage &quot;M&quot; cam and a =
set of
                      NOS lifters that I had been saving for decades.</div>
                      silicon nitride lifters manufactured but at over
                      $1000 a set its a serious investment.</div>
                      2021, 10:47 a.m. Steven Kingsbury, &lt;<a href=3D"mai=
lto:airtightproductions@icloud.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ai=
rtightproductions@icloud.com</a>&gt;
                      wrote:<br>
px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                          my lifters from AH Spares in the UK. These
                          were their new design for better oil flow. I
                          now have 1000 miles or so on the new engine
                          and once I got my problems figured out with my
                          distributor, the car is running well and
                          smooth.</div>
he other shoe is
                          going to drop! What problems did you have
                          pointing you to the lifters as the source of
                          those problems? When I retorqued the head, I
                          readjusted the rockers and found no problems.
                          They were a little off, but I expected a
                          little.</div>
? I used
                          Driven Break In oil and then I switched to VR1
                          like you after 500 miles. I have been driving
                          the car to build up some trust in it and it&#39;s
                          turning in to a joy to drive. I&#39;ve got M mods
                          on this engine, cam, H6 carbs, M pistons and
                          these new lifters. So far, so good.=C2=A0</div>
                          On August 3, 2021 at 5:19 PM, Michael Salter
                          via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.t=
eam.net" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">healeys@autox.team=
.net</a>&gt;
                          wrote:<br>
                                NOS BMC lifters that I installed in my
                                engine with a very low mileage &quot;M&quot=
; cam
                                have started to deteriorate.=C2=A0
                                  steady diet of VR1 non synthetic and
                                  it has had 4 changes in 6K miles.=C2=A0</=
div>
 trying
                                  bucket type Buick lifters with longer
                                  push rods and a new cam.</div>
                                  experience with the durability of the
                                  old Buick lifters ... getting a little
                                  desperate here.</div>
                                  this issue before it ruined the
                                  engine.</div>

rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://a=
utox.team.net/archive</a><br>
eam.net</a><br>
s/michael.oritt@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt@gmail.com</a><br>
 class=3D"gmail_signature"><font color=3D"#3333ff">Best--Michael</font></di=
v>