fot

Re: [Fot] Quaiffe Versus Gripper -

To: "'Tony Drews via Fot'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Quaiffe Versus Gripper -
From: Alexandre Camoletti via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 12:14:06 +0200
Cc: tr4.tony@virgin.net
Very well summarised, thank you Tony and congratulations for the Cup, great to
follow the legacy !

I do run a Gripper in my TR3, which is indeed a plate type LSD, but with the
advantage over the other Salisbury plate LSDs that the clutch discs do not have
a friction material coating.

Therefore they (almost) do not wear vs the usual coated discs, which can wear
very quickly under hard use.

Advantage over a Quaife : again, as the other plate LSDs the Gripper is fully
adjustable and does not need traction on both wheels to work, meaning it works
on snow (very useful here for Winter rallies in the Alps), slippery surfaces,
and in case of wheel lift, where the Quaife is lost, as it needs an amount of
grip both sides.

I run the car mostly in hillclimbing (and road as well, it is street legal) and
the gripper does its job very well. Some track as well, but no experience with
a welded diff to compare.

It would be interesting to see what the other Tony in the UK (Tony Sheach) who
is road rallying intensively in the UK uses and says (Here is a hint: he wrote
to the list in 2014 "Conversely, real men have rear wheel drive with plate type
limited slip diffs .... I rest my case m'lud.")

Take care dear Foters!
Alex Camoletti
(TR3A, period rally prepped, Geneva, Switzerland)