fot

Re: [Fot] Garmin Catalyst- anyone tried it?

To: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Garmin Catalyst- anyone tried it?
From: yellow04 via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2023 07:07:39 -0400
Cc: fot@autox.team.net

--=_527cd31382a226b10f502d15ee09bbd9

Last year at the Jefferson 500 I had three great sessions with a guy
running a Porch 914 who had one of these. We had a fun debrief after
each session, and after the feature race he pulls his Garmin Catalyst
out of his car and showed me what it captured (other than lots of video
of my bootlid!) and a lot of the things they covered in the Hagerty
article. It looked extremely helpful, but the one thing I don't remember
him mentioning was the live coaching feature. I can only wonder why...

I really liked what I saw, but the research revealed two showstoppers,
the unit can not get wet and the camera has a very specific spot it
needs to be mounted. Naturally, that spot is where the rear view mirror
on the windscreen goes, so strike two. In my case, game over.

So my data acquisition program remains a knock-off Go-Pro camera that I
neglect to turn on at least half the time!

Henry

On 2023-04-06 09:23, Scott Janzen via Fot wrote:

> interesting, though I wonder how I would hear the coaching - ear buds under
> my helmet, over the noise of an unmuffled exhaust?
> Be cool to try it out as I'm sure I could use coaching!
>
> On Apr 5, 2023, at 7:43 AM, David Cutter wrote:
>
> I borrowed one for a test and tune a while back.  While it does all the
> expected data collection, the really interesting function is the AI-based
> driver coaching that kicks in after 2-3 laps.  It seemed to work as my sector
> times improved.  Is it worth $799?...well here is what Sam Smith has to say:
>
> https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorsports/review-garmin-catalyst/
>
> On Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 7:54â?¯PM Mike Harmuth via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks. A friend who races an MG, just asked me what I know about the
>> Garmin Catalyst track recorder. I use a cell phone app (Track Addict) to
>> collect data and find it helpful but have no real world experience with
>> anything else.
>>
>> The Garmin seems expensive, more like something you'd find in a dentist's
>> track day Porsche but his wife wants to know if he'd like it for his
>> birthday.
>>
>> Anyone use this or a similar all-in-one device that I could recommend to him
>> ?
--=_527cd31382a226b10f502d15ee09bbd9

=3DUTF-8" /></head><body style=3D'font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana,Gen=
eva,sans-serif'>
ning a Porch 914 who had one of these. We had a fun debrief after each sess=
ion, and after the feature race he pulls his Garmin Catalyst out of his car=
 and showed me what it captured (other than lots of video of my bootlid!) a=
nd a lot of the things they covered in the Hagerty article. It looked extre=
mely helpful, but the one thing I don't remember him mentioning was the liv=
e coaching feature. I can only wonder why...&nbsp;</p>
he unit can not get wet and the camera has a very specific spot it needs to=
 be mounted. Naturally, that spot is where the rear view mirror on the wind=
screen goes, so strike two. In my case, game over.&nbsp;</p>
neglect to turn on at least half the time!</p>

px solid; margin: 0">
after-white-space;">interesting, though I wonder how I would hear the coach=
ing - ear buds under my helmet, over the noise of an unmuffled exhaust?
le it does all the expected data collection, the really interesting functio=
n is the AI-based driver coaching that kicks in after 2-3 laps.&nbsp; It se=
emed to work as my sector times improved.&nbsp; Is it worth $799?...well he=
re is what Sam Smith has to say:
alyst/" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener noreferrer">https://www.hagerty=
=2Ecom/media/motorsports/review-garmin-catalyst/</a></div>
=AFPM Mike Harmuth via Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; rel=3D=
"noreferrer">fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:</div>
order-left: 1px solid #cccccc; padding-left: 1ex;">
now about the Garmin Catalyst track recorder. I use a cell phone app (Track=
 Addict) to collect data and find it helpful&nbsp;but have no real world ex=
perience with anything else.
t's track day Porsche but his wife wants to know if he'd like it for his bi=
rthday.</div>
mend to him ?&nbsp;</div>

--=_527cd31382a226b10f502d15ee09bbd9--

--===============6854432649483441817==