fot

[Fot] Southwick Conversion axle float

To: Friends Of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Southwick Conversion axle float
From: Philip Gott via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 19:14:30 -0500
Starting to reassemble my rear axle after a successful install of a new ring
and pinion (thanks the help and advice on that one, FOT). When putting in the
axle shafts I noticed an indentation on the axle bearing retainer from the
bearing slamming sideways into it. Southwick machined the bearing housing ends
the full width of the bearing. Because the backing plate fits over the bearing,
there is nothing to keep the bearing all the way in the bearing housing, and it
shifts side to side in the void left between the retainer and the backing
plate.
One solution would be to find some steel wire the same thickness as the backing
plate and form it into ring inside the hole in the backing plate.
Does anyone have any other solutions or recommendations?
Phil Gott

Sent from my iPhone
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com