Re: [Roadsters] carb problems?

To: dave n <dave@ranteer.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] carb problems?
From: Joe Russo <jrusso07@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 07:33:43 -0400
Cc: Datsun <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Since your ignition parts and fuel pump are new, I suggest going through the
carb set up procedure on www.311s.org.  It's in the tech wiki section, or
follow the manual.

Perhaps linkages are not set up right and carbs aren't properly
balanced/tuned/mixture

Joe

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 9, 2014, at 9:17 AM, "dave n" <dave@ranteer.com> wrote:

> 1) what happens at 4500 rpm when cold? Missing, fuel starved, engine
stalls?

> runs fine up to 4500 or 5000, then just won't go any farther when you
depress the pedal.

> 2) once running well, does it idle well? Does it accelerate with power?
>
> idles just fine, but when its hot the idle drops and it almost stalls.
accelerates, but I'm thinking it lacks power.

> 3) when it won't start, it cranks but but never fires, fires intermittently,
doesn't crank at all?

> cranks but never fires.  like no gas or vapor lock.  have not tried starter
fluid spray.

> From what you wrote, it might be a fuel mixture problem. I am guessing
perhaps the jet is worn, the needle is worn or the jet isn't well centered in
the carb.  When she warms up, things get a little better aligned. Just a swag
on my part.

> Joe
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Aug 8, 2014, at 11:59 PM, "dave n" <dave@ranteer.com> wrote:
>
>> two issues Ibm having with an early 67 roadster
>>
>> 1.  typically, until you run the car for 15 or 20 minutes, it doesnbt
like
>> to go above 4500 rpm.  tonight I took it out on the freeway, and after
about
>> 15 minutes at 65 I could get it to run over 4500 or 5000.  up until then,
it
>> just hit a wall (so to speak).
>>
>> 2. after running for about 30 minutes at 60 to 75, I pulled it into a
large
>> parking garage.  wasnbt cold, but was not as hot as outside.  turned it
off,
>> did a few things, then it wouldnbt start.  no biggie as that is where it
>> currently lives.  back on July 4th in the evening I had gone to get it,
drove
>> it home, and then it wouldnbt start.  later it started up and ran just
fine.
>> always starts right up when cold.  Ibm sure it will start in the morning.
>>
>> Ibm thinking I have carb issues?  newly rebuilt/refurbished dizzy with
>> pertronix, good solid coil, electric fuel pump (which, btw, is in the
engine
>> compartment).
>>
>> I do not know the history of these carbs; there is no telling the last
time
>> they were rebuilt or serviced.  Ibve had the car since 2006 and its been
>> mostly apart since then or sitting.  does not get driven much, especially
now
>> that I have to be careful about taking it somewhere.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/jrusso07@rochester.rr.
com