Re: [Roadsters] Smoking/failing starter or something else?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Smoking/failing starter or something else?
From: "dave" <daveandlindab@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 17:47:55 -0400
The only thing I know that can be different with the forklift starters is
the # of teeth on the pinion, IIRC 8 or 9 tooth is available for the H20,
and 9 is correct for a Roadster. I wouldn't think heat was an issue, as the
starter is farther from the exhaust than most originals, and forklifts run
pretty hot.
Except for the real risk of a fire, tossing in an OEM starter may or may not
resolve it, and may cook another starter.  I would lean more toward what
Oliver suggests, a wiring or ignition switch issue keeping the starter "on"
as more likley than 2 bad starters in a row.   The starter harnesses and the
plugs are notorious for corroding and melting.  Now if the starter is a
cheap Chinese knockoff, way too commom these days, and not a Nissan or other
quality made part, that may be another reason for failure.

Dave Brisco
ECR