Re: [Roadsters] belt problem

To: <toolmansj2@comcast.net>, "roadster list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] belt problem
From: "Bubba" <bubwin@mts.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:33:45 -0500
V-belt numbers indicate cross-sectional dimension and length.  There are 2
different numbering systems that make it a bit more challenging.

V-belts are expressed in inches. For US V-belts, the part number first has a
letter to id the cross section, and a number to id the approx inside length.
Narrow V-belts are id'd by a number - 3,5, or 8 --- for the belt top width
in 1/8" increments, followed by the letter "V." The rest of the digits
indicate the effective belt length in tenths of inches.

The metric belts made to ISO standards have an ISO number showing the width
about 1/3 down the "V" and the "theoretical" length based on the diameter
when measured 1/3 down the "V".

For belts made to DIN standards, the numbers indicate top width and inside
circumference in millimeters.

In other words, if you need a belt longer than the 7340, assuming the same
manufacturer, you want a highter numbered belt, the number depends on how
much more length you need.

Hope this confusion helps a bit.

Bob Winslade