Re: [Roadsters] brake flushing

To: "Tim" <tputland@charter.net>, "datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] brake flushing
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 21:03:12 -0500
Tim,

Here's what I did years ago starting with DOT 3 fluid:

1.  Drained the system.
2.  Refilled with alcohol.
3.  Drained alcohol and flushed with silicone (DOT 5).
4.  Filled with silicone and bled.

Worked great ever since.  Silicone fluid is expensive, and I probably put a
quart through the system after the alcohol.  But, silicone is
non-hygroscopic -- won't absorb water -- so the chance of corroding brake
parts or wearing out rubber seals is minimized.  I wouldn't consider
anything but silicone in a non-race car.  Just my opinion.

Gary