Re: [Roadsters] Tires and Solenoid Info

To: "jim williams" <sportsix63@yahoo.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Tires and Solenoid Info
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 17:31:31 -0700
When I thought I had problems with the starter solenoid on my 2000 I removed
the solenoid from the starter and disassembled the solenoid.  What I found
was a large copper disk that is pulled down onto two very heavy contacts
connecting the battery to the starter.

The copper disk and contacts had collected copper from their respective
contacts.  If I remember correctly condition of the disk was not to bad
because I suspect the disk rotates as it is used.  The fixed contacts had a
large buildup of copper, greatly reducing the contact surface.

I filed the fixed contacts flat to restore the contact surface and smoothed
the copper disk.  The starter works, but it is now my spare starter because
after all of that the engine still would not turn over when the starter was
engaged.  Another engine fixed that problem.....

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland
http://www.datsun2000.com