Re: [Roadsters] 5-point harness laws

To: "'steb'" <stebharvey@ameritech.net>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 5-point harness laws
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:35:21 +1030
--===============1767447591==

The 5 point harness is probably MUCH better than your average 3 point but
the big problem is that the manufacturer has, for whatever reason, not had
them "complied" with your Transport authority.
While that may seem an annoyance, think about your Insurance.
If, forbid, you need to make a claim and your belts are not legal, what
then!
I'm with you, they are a far better restraint than anything that was factory
fitted, BUT, here in Oz, the car can be defected for having better seatbelts
than OEM, simply because they are not DOT approved.
Did someone say that the Law is an ASS?

"5-point harness laws"

Group,

I purchased two sets of 5-point harnesses for my restoration project car. As
I was leaving the store the guy says, "you are using these on a track car,
right?". I said no, there for a street car. Turns out that harness sets are
not legal for street use in Wisconsin. I installed them anyway thinking that
it's better to be a breathing law breaker then a dead upstanding citizen.
Are harnesses legal in other states for street use?

Steve

2:13 PM