Re: Starting Problem

To: "Notebaart, Tom E (STP)" <Tom.Notebaart@guidant.com>
Subject: Re: Starting Problem
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 14:08:47 -0500
Tom,

A bad ignition switch will not cause the headlights to not work, so
let's look at a few other things.

Assuming that you have a good ground for the battery, the first stop for
electrons is at the starter. The large cable that runs from the battery
+ terminal goes to the large stud on the starter.  Check to see that the
terminals on that stud are tight. On that same starter stud there is at
least one smaller wire, probably 2. These wires go to a 2 or 3 pin plug,
less than 1' from the starter, right under the rear carb. If the
connections in that connector get dirty, it can cause the car to be in a
coma. Since you say that you put new carbs on, it is possible that you
disturbed that connector. My bet is on that connector. If that connector
is tight, there is probably something wrong in the dash. The next stop
for the electrons is the ammeter. Make sure that the connections on it
are tight. Next I would check the fuses for the headlights to see if
they are tight and clean.

Do you have a test light or volt meter? If so, I can give you better
troubleshooting test to make.

Good luck.

Peace,
Pat

--
-- Support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --