RE: Optima Battery

To: "'Matthew Cox'" <oscilloscope500@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Optima Battery
From: "limprod" <limprod@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:36:51 -0700
I've been out of town just over a year with 3 visits back home.  2 cars had
Optima batteries (1 - red and 1 - yellow top) and the 3rd car a <2 year old
Interstate lead acid.

#1 car (Ford Crown Vic - suppose to have a Group 65 but has a D34 yellow
top) I was able to run when I came back home after 3-4 months.  I never
bothered disconnecting the terminals and it started w/o a hitch.

The 3rd car was suppose to be used in my absence but just sat so the battery
had enough to light the dash and energize the solenoid (did not start).  It
charged up but as with lead acid batteries, if you don't keep it charged up,
it is pretty much a goner.

2nd car (red top 34) happens to be a '69 SRL311 (work in progress). Since
it's buried in my away mode storage, I was only able to run it once after 6
months.  That was after troubleshooting suspected gummed up carbs after ~12
attempted restarts.  I ran the engine for about 10 minutes before shutting
down.  It couldn't have fully replenished.  3 months later, I'm home
again...  I just dug out the Roadster to see what happens...  It cranked and
it started!  I do have a battery disconnect but it seems that I forgot to
disengage it last January.

If what happened to the regular lead acid battery is any indication, the
double cost of the Optima batteries just paid for themselves.  Any screw ups
now will be new battery savings.

IMO - highly recommended battery.