RE: Compression

To: "'owen tasker'" <redrider68@verizon.net>,
Subject: RE: Compression
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:44:49 +1030
Hi Owen & list,
(Make sure that engine is at operating temp. and throttle is WIDE OPEN and
ALL PLUGS OUT when you crank it over for a comp. test.)
Comp. of 185 - 195 is a good ballpark number.
Looks like #1 is a little sick.
A good next step is to do a Leakdown Test.
Valves closed, handbrake on, car in gear, fill cylinder with compressed air.
(I made an adaptor fom an old spark plug with a hose and a schrader valve on
the other end).
Pump up the cylinder, 200psi is good.
Listen at the inlet manifold for a leaking inlet valve, at the exhaust
outlet for a leaking exhaust valve, at the valve cover cap for a leaking
piston/rings, at the radiator filler for a blown head gasket.
My bet would be the rings (at worst the piston) in #1, broken or worn out.
I was able to diagnose two broken pistons in a turbo engine with just this
simple tool and test.

Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310
1971 P510
1972 PL510
1973 HS30
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
Adelaide
South Australia.
"Hello list, I've got a 68' 2000, it's been smoking for a while now but it's
gotten worse. I did a compression test today.

         Dry      Wet
# 1 - 152      172

# 2 -- 165      195

# 3 - 167      187

# 4 - 162      185

What should the stock compression be? Do the results mean that it's the
rings are bad or valves or both? Give me some feedback please.
Thanks, Owen."