Syncro ring question

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Syncro ring question
From: "Eric Frisbee" <efrisbee@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:23:52 -0600
Hey folks!

I have my '70 2000 transmission apart now and had some questions about the
syncro rings...  it's a Servo type, as it has the steel rings.  #1, 2 and 3
all have some grooves in them.  At what point would these be considered due
for replacement?   I am having the seals and bearing changed out now, since
they are worn out and I may as well since the engine is out being rebuilt.
Is there anything else I should know about or check on the Servo style that
can be dealt with now?   It has the double nut mainshaft and that was nice
and tight..

Oh yeah... I pulled the engine because I kept having problems with blowby,
low compression on 1 & 2 and tired of breathing noxious fumes.  Turns out
that the rings were indeed shot!   My leakdown test, unlike Daniel Neumans
showed horrible #1, 100% loss, #2, 93% loss, #3, 89% loss and #4, 100% loss.
No way that car should have run, much less moved like she did!   The machine
shop confirmed the cylinders were worn at a "7 wear" and said it looked like
the PO just put new rings in and new rod bearings.  All else was original,
by their estimations...  Well, if she ran good before, I can't wait to see
what the rebuilt engine pulls!!  Probably looking at another 2 -3 weeks
before it's all completed.

You may have seen some eBay auctions under "echofox" recently... that's me
selling off goodies to pay for all this extra expenses.   If you bought
stuff, thanks!!    If not, thanks for the moral support!

Thanks in advance on the questions!!!

Eric