Possible FiX: gas gauge

To: cjs37@juno.com, datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Possible FiX: gas gauge
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:03:00 -0400
Short the wire on the gas tank sender to ground, or if there are two wires,
short them
together.  This will make the gage read full.  Now, go for a ride around the
neighborhood with
the shorted wires in place, and see if the gage stays on full then you know
you have a dirty
sensor wiper that works OK at idle, but not with gas sloshing around in the
tank.
The sensor can be taken out and cleaned.  This is dangerous, disconnent the
battery,
etc etc.

If the gage falls to E when your riding around ,the tank sensor is OK, and
you have a loose
wire somewhere or the instrument voltage regulator is about to give up.  I
would begin
by tightening and cleaning/soldering all wire connections.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Chesapeake, Virginia