Roadster Fever Claims Another Victim!

To: "'Datsun Roadsters list'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Roadster Fever Claims Another Victim!
From: "Pete Peters" <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:38:28 -0700
Well, after 5+ years in the SF Bay Area, SPL311-00799 (1966 1600) has a new
home in Seattle, WA. Picked it up from the shipper yesterday evening.
Hehehehehe....wheelbase just barely wide enough for the trailer.

After I paid the driver, I took a walk around (grinning like a Village
Idiot), then I took the top and frame off (hmmmm, can't collapse the soft
top w/ a rollbar), dumped it into the passenger seat, and took it for a
quick spin around several blocks. Wanted to take it on the freeway, but not
w/ expired California plates, lol.

WooHOO! my first roadster drive/ride. Sure is different than the 914. And,
gee! these things are tight! <g> Car is better is some places and worse in
others than I expected, but it drove, shifted, and stopped real nice.

First projects are:

   1. install air cleaner -> don't do no good sitting in the trunk.
   2. dial in them carbs -> idle is a little rough.
   3. fix the emergency brake -> nothing attached to the handle!
   4. check out the charging system -> is it working?
   5. replace the right windshielp wiper shaft -> broke/sheared off right
where it goes into the sheet metal.

Next projects are....many! I think y'all know the drill.

I bought the car for Debbie, my wife. As I mentioned when I first joined the
list, she had fond memories of '66 1600 that her ex-husband sold without her
permission while she was at work one day (one of several reasons he's an
'ex'!). We just bought a house w/ a one-car garage, so I have the car
stashed until we move in September. She's going to hit the garage door
opener, and the roadster will greet her w/ a big bow on it.

Hope she likes it!

I have to say thanks to AlvinG and my brother-in-law Seth for checking out
the car for me (and all the wonderful people who volunteered), and Sid Raper
for his invaluable insights.  I also want to thank Rob at Z Car Garage in
San Jose (he was the seller) for putting up w/ all my questions and such.
Long distance car buying is not for the faint of heart.

For them's that are wondering, yes, this is the same car that AlvinG wrote
about in June. Here's the link to that fun story:

<http://www.311s.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1248>

Here are pics of the car:

<http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kwok3033/album?.dir=/e585>

<http://community.webshots.com/user/alving06>

Be prepared for all the newbie questions as I get the little beastie sorted
out.

Thanks for listening.

Pete
Pete Peters