RE: Cutting parts away

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Cutting parts away
From: Andy Cost <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:11:05 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Pat Steinbach purchased a car on Ebay a couple of years ago.  The car was a
lightened for racing.  They swear that the car weighs 1100 pounds.  I don't see
how this could be beacuse the frame, suspension, rear axle, and motor alone are
close to 1100 pounds.  Pat's car has had the front subframe removed and
replaced with a couple of thin bars that support the fenders.  I wonder if the
motor could be used as a structural member with solid mounts and some braces
that run from the upper a-arm mount to the head.  another brace from the upper
a-arm mount to the firewall or all the way to the rollcage could provide more
stiffness.  It seems that a lighter car would need less bracing than the heavy
stock car.