RE: A Little Light Shed in a Dark Corner of Environmentalism

To: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: A Little Light Shed in a Dark Corner of Environmentalism
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:24:44 -0700
Interesting article, but I am reluctant to accept anything from the Cato
Institute as unbiased. The assumption that the best government is
practically no government at all is unrealistic, IMHO.

As to government regulation and vehicles, remember how the car manufacturers
were predicting doom and gloom when the EPA implemented pollution
regulations? They said it couldn't be done, it would destroy the auto
industry, and that market forces should be allowed to prevail - that if the
consumers actually wanted clean air, they should pay for it on those
individual cars (which, of course, would cost MUCH more).

Well, now we have cars that produce 1% of the pollution that they did in the
early 1970's, that consume less gas while delivering better performance, and
cost relatively the same amount as they did "back then." And the SMART auto
companies are still around.

I don't think hybrids are a bad idea. They are still in the development
phase, and if companies continue to work on them, they may be viable for
many people in the near future. In the shorter term, the best way to reduce
our dependence on oil (and there is really no such thing as "foreign oil,"
there is just "oil") would be to increase the mileage standards for trucks
and SUVs.