Re: Fw: A Little Light Shed in a Dark Corner of

To: datsunmike@nyc.rr.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: A Little Light Shed in a Dark Corner of
From: TWFAUST@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 07:33:27 EDT
In a message dated 7/26/04 6:54:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
datsunmike@nyc.rr.com writes:

> Interesting article.
>

> http://www.lp.org/lpnews/0408/libertarian-solution.html

I am hardly a "scientist", so allow me some latitude. It does seem that much
environmentalism has taken on many of the aspects of religion. Primarily in
the requirement that the faithful be admonished for demanding facts and are
required to "prove their faith".

Although there have been many over the years, two current "articles of faith"
are "second hand smoke" and "global warming". Neither of these are
scientifically proven in the way that it is an absolute that the earth is
round. There
are divergent opinions pro and con. Still, governmental regulation is being
brought to bear to alleviate these "problems". I am inclined to ask "who
profits". In some cases it may simply be that the politicians "profit" by
making
activist impressions on the faithful.

It is frequently argued that these propositions are based on the "best
science available". The best science once proved that the earth was flat. Those
of
us old enough to remember the "energy crisis" will recall that the "best
science" added to the drive for further regulation. The "best science"
determined
the exact date on which the earth's supply of petroleum would be exhausted.
IIRC, that date was in June of 1989. Now, we have greater known reserves than
we
did at the peak of the "crisis" and there is doubt that petroleum is actually
the "fossil fuel" we have been taught that it is. The argument in favor of
further regulation is always "it is better to be safe than sorry".

It is not news that "hybrid" cars, and the prior "alternative fuel vehicles"
are both required by mandate and heavily subsidized. Where the subsidy is not
sufficient, the manufacturers are required to increase the price of their
other vehicles to finance compliance with the mandates. I find this to be
negativism, requiring the belief that when we exhaust petroleum the world will
go
dark. Fortunately, more positive responses are at work. These are poorly funded.

Tom Faust