Damn... I'm not going to make it to Shasta this year...

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Damn... I'm not going to make it to Shasta this year...
From: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@RadOnc17.UCSF.Edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 21:47:10 -0700
Hello All,

   Well with all the crazyness that's been going on with my house this year
I have not had much time for the roadster.  Today was the first day I have
had to look at it.  Yea I know three days before I am scheduled to leave for
Shasta..  Looked around the car and everything looked good except all the
tires were uniformly low and the clutch fluid was dark.  Filled up all the
tires to 31psi and tried to fire her up.  It took longer than usual but she
fired up and after a bit of rough idling ran fine.  We backed her out of the
driveway and headed over to Dana Nojima's neighborhood for   some burritos.
Car was running great then at about 60mph a rumbling-vibration coming from
the front end somewhere??  I think it may be one or both of the front wheel
bearings.  Then as we slow for the off ramp the car started running really
crappy.like it was not running on all cylinders.

            We have also just realized that we probably have not driven the
car since LAST august.well maybe a day or two but last August was the last
time we could both remember driving it (and it ran like a top).

            After we got home I did the pull the ignition wire test and the
#2 cylinder (counting from the rad back) did not effect the idle at all.
Actually the #1 did not effect it much but 3 and 4 sure did.  I checked for
spark and there was good spark on both 1 and 2.  I put my finger over the
spark plug hole and let the car run for a bit and my   finger was bone dry.
I am assuming that means there is no fuel getting to the #2 cylinder.  I
opened the jet cover and removed the jets for the #2 cylinder and blew them
out with carb cleaner and compressed air then re-installed them.did not seem
to make a difference.

            Whatever I did did not seem to make a difference and by the time
I was done the car was running much worse and now backfiring thru the
carbs!!!! YAY!!

I lost the computer that had all my roadster help archives on it.  I looked
in my two manuals but they really don't help me adjust the damn carbs.
SOoooo, can someone point me to somewhere that has a good breakdown on how
to tune the damn things.and maybe help me out with what the hell is wrong?

            I am so  darn burnt out and emotionally drained from all the
work we have done on our house that I really was looking forward to just
getting in the car and driving and having everything be peachy keen.now I
have zero motivation-will for two more all-nighters.I was really looking
forward to going to.

            Irene and I are talking over taking the bikes and still going.we
of course won't be able to  take the large amount of booze we normally
do..Hell I am not even sure my boss will let me have the days off.I sorta
forgot to tell him in advance..

            I am not sure what the Mt. Aire's cancellation policy is but
maybe I can switch our room reservation to someone else?  Does anybody want
our room?  Let me know right away cause I am probably going to decide to
keep it or toss it by Tuesday morning.

            Sorry about this long rambling letter I just needed to vent.  I
would appreciate any help anybody feels like giving but I think I am
defeated.

   Daniel Neuman

   Oakland CA

   69 2000  thank god I don't have a hand grenade to roll under the car..