Re: To tow, or trailer?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: To tow, or trailer?
From: thomas walter <roundrocktom@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:25:06 -0700 (PDT)
Trailer.  Thankfully a roadster at 2200# is still
pretty light, so a small single axle trailer will work
fine.

Flat Towing: The early steering box has just a "peg"
into the worm gear.  When flat towing you'll move the
peg back and forth... with LOTS (i.e. 40K) of miles it
will wear that peg out, leaving a loose spot in the
worm gear.     Later recirculating ball steering boxes
('69-'70) that is not an issue.

Tow Dolly: Not uncommon to see the wheel ramps hitting
the underside of the body on a roadster. Even worst
with a lowered roadster. Still have the wear and tear
on the rear axle.

Trailer: If you have the tow vehicle, this is the best
option. You can find a light weight, small trailer, at
1000#... not a bad option (total weight is 3500#,
trailer brake and break away battery are always
recommended).  Just make sure the rear end, and ramps,
will clear a lowered roadster.

Dumbest thing I ever did... towed my old '67 2000 to
Texas behind a '72 510.  Tow bar. Yes, check those
"bumper attach point" as they are not meant for a tow
dolly attach point. Kept it under 45mph for the whole
2200 mile trip. Never again.

Tom Walter