Oil Filter

To: "Roadster Forum" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Filter
From: "John Sciulli" <orangepop@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:54:45 -0800
Hi List I was wondering, I just completed an oil change and a funny thing
happened. First off, I replaced the oil filter with the same model as the
one that was on my car - Fram 3639 (I think). When I took off the old filter
I thought if I get the same one it should fit right? Well not in my case. It
was a different thread and too big.
So this was a bit of a pain, didn't know what to do. So I ran myself over to
the nearest supply shop and picked up another filter that "should fit". When
I got home to try it on, it was too short to fit because of that tube that
sticks out of the part were you screw the filter on. So I decided to remove
that tube so that the filter will fit.

I'm wondering what kind of damage will I cause by doing so? I notice that my
oil pressure is a bit higher, especially when I idle - it used to idle at
almost 0 but now its not nearly as close to 0 as it was. I was also
wondering if I cut the tube and replace it so it will fit inside the filter
would be better than not having it or its ok as is.

I just don't feel good about removing something that was there; like it was
there for some reason and it must be important.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks.