RE: Is this really the 73rd one produced?

To: <BARTERDUDE@aol.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Is this really the 73rd one produced?
From: "Corcoran" <corcoran@bainbridgeisland.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 21:12:09 -0800
Dude,
For what it's worth, my first 1500 was spl310 3 0004B. It was a single carb
3 seater. In my opinion, 3 denotes the true year of manufacture. You may
wish to look at the frame number under the carb(s).
Also the single carb would typically have a remote starter solenoid mounted
on the firewall and a wire harness to go with it. There would be a bracket
welded to the firewall for the solenoid that is not there for later 1500's.
I suppose there may be some early/transitional dual carb's that still had
this bracket. Also I think the windshield washer bottle bracket is
different.

My black 3 seater, dual carb 1500 is 4SPL310 03372D with engine G86306.
The cowl id plate is stamped 1965.

My blue 3 seater, dual carb 1500 is 4SPL310 03054 with engine G84482.
The cowl id plate is stamped 1964.

I presume the leading 4 indicates made in 1964.

I don't know where the single to dual carb cut off number came from.
I suppose you do have an early 1500, possibly one of the first dual carb
models. See if the frame number agrees with the cowl id plate serial number.
I would be curious if you also had the solenoid bracket.
Happy Roadstering,
Tim Corcoran
3 '64 Fairladys

<SNIP>

Okay guys, even I am confused.  I recently acquired a 1500 Fairlady and do
believe according to what all the information indicates, that this is one of
the
earliest 1500 on the list.  The serial number is SPL 310-300161C.  But where
I am confused is supposedly the factory started numbering the first 1500's
at
either 300088 or 000088 and the letter just indicates the production area
parking lot at the factory, but where the confusion comes in is, I thought
the
first 300 produced came with the single carb, which has the dash plate
showing 77
hp as my other 1500 shows.  This car is stamped 1964 (yes I know they
stamped
the early ones, when sold), but it is also showing 85 HP, which is dual carb
rating.

This car had NO carbs so I don't know which is correct, but I do have an
intake manifold and single carb set up.  I also hear that they did retrofit
the
singles to duels a little later, but I was wondering if anyone could shed
some
definitive light on the production date and if this is indeed the earliest
on
the list (to date).  I know Carl Jaegar has the earliest one (based on
starting
at 88) on the roadster registry with 173 (the 85th one produced), but if my
assumption are correct this is the 73rd one produced and worth restoring
(its
going to take some work).

Any insight and help would be greatly appreciated,

Gary Lasater
founding member www.wycroc.org
63 SPL 310-300161C
63 SPL 310-300289B