Is this really the 73rd one produced?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Is this really the 73rd one produced?
From: BARTERDUDE@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 13:25:16 EST
Okay guys, even I am confused.  I recently acquired a 1500 Fairlady and do
believe according to what all the information indicates, that this is one of
the
earliest 1500 on the list.  The serial number is SPL 310-300161C.  But where
I am confused is supposedly the factory started numbering the first 1500's at
either 300088 or 000088 and the letter just indicates the production area
parking lot at the factory, but where the confusion comes in is, I thought the
first 300 produced came with the single carb, which has the dash plate showing
77
hp as my other 1500 shows.  This car is stamped 1964 (yes I know they stamped
the early ones, when sold), but it is also showing 85 HP, which is dual carb
rating.

This car had NO carbs so I don't know which is correct, but I do have an
intake manifold and single carb set up.  I also hear that they did retrofit the
singles to duels a little later, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some
definitive light on the production date and if this is indeed the earliest on
the list (to date).  I know Carl Jaegar has the earliest one (based on starting
at 88) on the roadster registry with 173 (the 85th one produced), but if my
assumption are correct this is the 73rd one produced and worth restoring (its
going to take some work).

Any insight and help would be greatly appreciated,

Gary Lasater
founding member www.wycroc.org
63 SPL 310-300161C
63 SPL 310-300289B