RE: headlight relay

To: "'Ian Miller'" <ianmiller07@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: headlight relay
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:05:13 +0930
Hi Ian,
the original relay is 4 spade terminal device is it not?
Sounds like it has lost some spring tension on the contacts.
You should be able to replace it with a current(no pun intended)
technology relay from a wreck or buy new.
If you are definately going to replace the old one, pry the lid off it
to verify what the contact configuration is.
I'm guessing it has the coil connected to terminals B an S with the
12V feed also going to the moving contact.
At rest the 12V feeds the D(Dipped beam) terminal and when the relay
is operated, breaks the D and feeds the M (Main beam) terminal.
So a Hella #3080 (or similar) will do it, you need to connect the B
wire to 30 and 86, the S wire to 85 and the D and M wires to 87 and
87a
The D and M wires may need to be reversed to give the right lights on
when the dimmer switch operates the relay.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
1972 PL510 2 door - in storage.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2003 specs.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
Adelaide, South Australia.

Does anyone know where I can get a solid state replacement for the
headlight
relay.  I upgraded the wiring so the current relay only has enough
amps to
throw the high and low beam relays I added, but when I hit bumps my
high
beams will go off for a second beacuse the original relay looses
contact.  I
would really like to replace it with a solid state relay but the only
ones
available locally act as a on off switch, not a switch between 2
positions.
I hope that made some sense.