Re: OT New Car advice wanted.

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OT New Car advice wanted.
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:39:25 -0500
>Daniel:

>We are looking at the class, I don't know what its called but how
>about  'big on the inside, small on the outside hatchbacks where the rear
>seats fold down flat and give you a decent amount of carrying capacity'.  We
>need something that will seat 4 adults comfortably (so a real backseat).
>The cars we are looking at are, The Toyota Matrix, The Pontiac Vibe, The
>Scion, The Ford Focus, The Mini, The Honda Civic.  Did I forget one?  Does
>anybody have any experience with any of these cars?  I would love to hear
>personal opinions on the pros and cons of each car.
>I want something that's on the more sporty side like the Focus SVT.  The
>Scion is cheap but it only makes 105rwhp..pretty weak.
>We are not planning on getting a new-off-the-lot model (can't afford it) we
>are hoping to get a barely used <10,000 mile jobby.

>> Kim:

>> I don't know what your price range is, but I recently purchased a 2002 Acura
>> RSX Type S. 18,000 miles, 5 year 60K warranty, plus it is Certified (7 year
>> 100K drive train warranty). 200HP, 6spd, 2-dr with hatchback, rear split
>>seat.
>> Anywhere from 33-37 mpg. I love it. Quick, fast, handles very well and looks
>> great. No options, it comes with everything.
>> I've seen them with low mileage for under $20K.

I'd look at Honda/Acura, Toyota and Mazda. Wouldn't touch the Focus with
anybody's 10 foot pole, but then I seem to have a genetic aversion to
Ford's. We'll soon be moving to 9 acres 45 (easy open country highway) miles
away from my work here in Temple and will be looking for something other
than our '95 Odyssey van (145K miles/23 mpg) or my '93 GMC V-6 Pickup (105K
miles/16 mpg, if I'm REAL lucky) to commute in. Leading the first draft list
is the Civic Hybrid and the Jetta Turbodiesel, both of which top 50 mpg.

We're also considering the standard Civic, the RSX and maybe a '96/'97
Accord. The smaller cars ought to get in the high 30 range, the Accord lower
30s, but being used the lower purchase cost might offset the higher commute
cost. We tend to keep our road cars 10 year at least. I put 214K on an '88
Integra Special Edition that I still wish I'd kept. Great cars, I'd buy
another, used or new, in a heartbeat. That why the RSX, maybe a Type S, but
more likely the "standard" model, is a serious contender. If I'm gonna be
commuting 450 miles a week, I'd like to enjoy the drive, and I will have a
kick butt sound system.

Get a copy of the Consumers Reports Used Car guide and compare the
reliability and frequency of repair records for the different cars you
consider. A car that seems a good deal based on an initially low price may
prove more expensive in the long run than a more reliable model. Hondas,
Toyotas and Mazdas are going be higher on the used market because of their
popularity and reliability. Check out <www.cars.com>. You can do an advanced
search for specific makes, models and years and specify a market area or
distance from a Zip Code. Very useful for seeing what's available in an area
for how much. These are advertised cars, not representative "standards" on
Edmunds or Kelly Bluebook.

My opinion. That and $1.50 might buy you a small cup of coffee. At least
outside the Bay Area. For us it may work out that the Civic or Jetta will be
fun enough, especially with the 15 mpg difference in mileage. That's 40%
(200 gallons) less per year. I plan to work 8 to 10 more years and we all
know gas isn't going to get cheaper. You can buy a lot of roadster and 510
parts with the difference. The choice will be tough.

Did I mention that I REALLY like the RSX.  ;>)

HTH,
Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@hot.rr.com
Ronnie_day@acd.org
Temple, TX
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)