rear fender removal question

Subject: rear fender removal question
From: Chris Coker <chriscoker@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 23:35:38 -0400
My Japco fiberglass rear fenders showed up today.  It's going to be a
big project to get them installed on the race car.  The fenders
basically cover the same sheet metal that the stock fenders do.

My question - Are there any practical tips for removing the rear steel
fenders without going after it with a sawzall?  At the very least, some
spot welds will have to be drilled out around the door opening.  The
area where the fender overlaps into the trunk opening looks tricky as
well.  And I'm not sure about the best way to go about separating the
fender from where it ties into the rear valence.

I'd like to save the fenders, as much as possible.  I'm sure I learn
more as I dig into the project.  The left rear quarter has had some
significant bondo work done on it sometime in the past.  It may all
just fall apart once I try to separate things.

As a side note, the quality of the fiberglass is just barely good
enough for a race car.  Lot's of wrinkles in the gel coat, and quite a
few pits.  I'll have to do quite a bit of finish work to make the
fender look decent, and I'm definitely not looking to turn it into a
show car.  I'll save a bunch of weight with the fiberglass fenders, and
I'll be able to fit the wider tires I'll be running next season.

---
Chris Coker
1969 1600 Street Car (SPL311-24529)
1966 GP SCCA Race Car www.risensonracing.com