Re: Summit weekend (Tom's BIG Adventure) - MPEG Posted!!

To: "Brad Holmes" <bholmes@monk.aum.edu>
Subject: Re: Summit weekend (Tom's BIG Adventure) - MPEG Posted!!
From: "C. Halsted" <chalsted@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 09:03:30 -0400
I had to watch it a few times....big smile. then my daughter wanted to see
it a few times.......then Elaine wanted to see it a few times.....

the races were really great. weather was perfect. Mike Unger got to see both
sides of a Sunbeam Tiger about 3 times in under 5 seconds about 5 feet in
front of him- must have been an exciting moment for both of them. Tiger
driver completely overdrove both his car and his own abilities to keep Mike
from passing him. later told Mike "yeah, but if I'd let you by I never would
have seen you again"..........well, yeah.......Tom did great, his car is a
beauty and reflects a lot of time and effort. Mike Unger won the Datsun
feature race and drives so smoothly he makes it look practically effortless.
there was a BRE 610 making a ways more horsepower came in second, just
couldn't keep up. Dick Tillinger ran strong all weekend except for the brake
problems. Bob Middleton's 510 didn't skip a beat. there was a 510 race car
there, said to be #4 BRE car, fresh engine not in it, they were asking
$15,500........can be seen in the back of Mark's picture of Tom's car.
seemed kinda high to me, but I don't profess to know the 510 market. the
fastest 510 out there was offered at $20k for comparison. was talking to one
of the 510 racers and found out his car had originally been built by Dan
Rapucci. don't know if anyone but datsunmike and I know Dan. maybe a few
folks from Watkins Glen.  I even got to ride around the track about 10 times
at speeds up to but not over 100. was a lot of fun! driver wanted to do a J
turn for us, but as we had a scout leader in the back seat, that got vetoed.
Thanks, JH!  it was a real treat. got the "honeymoon"roadster driveable by
friday night, drove that to Summit Point. nice to have one on the road again
finally. found a few more issues to deal with, starter solenoid shot, need
to change ignition keyswitch section out, and have a bad rear wheelbearing
if not worse. if I can hear it over the sound of that Megaphone exhaust,
can't be a good thing. was great to see everybody there. got to see a lot
more racing than I do when we go up to the Glen.

Craig Halsted
roadsters