1970 electrical help

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1970 electrical help
From: Joe Rubio <joe@venuesports.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:03:57 -0700
Folks,

My buddy and I have hit our heads against a wall.  We are trying to
finish up my 1970 1600 with a 2000 engine.  The problem is as follows,
he nor I have a frame of reference for knowing how to hook up the coil,
the alternator and the starter. This comes from the fact that the
previous owner had a tractor engine in the car and redid all the wiring,
so we have no idea what goes where because the car didn;t have anything
but an empty engine compartment when we got it.  Everything just is a
mess and doesn't make any sense.  Add to that the fact that different
Datsuns Roadsters have different set-ups meaning we cannot look at
photos on the net and get a clear idea of what goes where.  We are
stuck.  We can probably redo the whole thing from the wiring diagram,
but we like to avoid having to do that.  What we ideally need is someone
who knows the electrical set up on a 1970 1600/2000 SU car who can
assist us.  As I see it, the engine compartment has 3 basic harnesses,
one for the lights, etc in the front of the engine compartment (we have
a new one of those) and then 2 additional ones. Is there anyone in San
Luis Obispo who knows 2000's well enough that can tell us exactly what
goes where by taking a look at my screwed up electrical situation in
person and advising us a course of action?  If there is someone in the
East Bay Area in Fremont, Walnut Creek, Danville or even San Jose who
can help, that would be great too.  My buddy is up there next week for
business and can stop by to take some digital photos of your car and
chat.  See he's the brains of the opperation, but he's a muscle car/Saab
guy, not really a Datsun Roadster guy so he's lost, which means I'm
lost.

I know I've made this request before, but we thought we could figure it
out on our own.  Turns out, we can't. The bummer is we have all the
mechanical in, ready to go.  New brakes, new rebuilt engine, rebuilt
carbs, rebuilt starter, new batter tray, cables and battery.  New
clutch, cleaned out gas tank, new hoses throughout.  New tires on the
way, Miata seats getting ready to come in from Florida. The thing is
ready to roll, but we need spark.  Can anyone help us out?

Let me know. Appreciate any input you guys can offer.  We're going to
get this damn thing to Solvang this year of it kills us.  It looks like
it just might.

Joe