Re: Tire Question

To: "Ryan Roswell Bird" <BirdMan@myrealbox.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Question
From: John Atchison <jda@srv.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 17:20:54 -0700
Ryan:

In my experience.................

14x6 wheels with 185/60/14 tires fit the front of the roadster
better than 196/60/14 tires,
as they don't stick out quite so far
and don't throw as much gravel and road debris
at the outside of the lower fender panel,
thereby avoiding a lot of paint chips in then lower fender panel.

However, I really like the extra traction of the 195/60/14 tires
in the rear of the 2000,

caution:  depending on wheel offset & the quirks of individual bodies,
along with what rear springs you are running in the car:
using 195/60/14 tires in the rear may require some fender lip bending
and/or slight flaring of the fender lip to accommodate 195/60/14s
without rubbing when the car encounters bumps in the road.

My personal preference is 195/60/14 tires on 14x7 wheels in the rear
with 185/60/14 on 14x6 wheels in the front.

Of course this may all change,
when my roadster gets re-assembled some day
with the 15x7 wheels and 225/50/15s
that are stacked and waiting patiently by the car.
I expect I will have to do some more flaring of the rear fenders.

John Atchison
69 2000
67.5 1600 project
Idaho Falls