RE: u-20 Manifold

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: u-20 Manifold
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 20:42:10 -0700
Some people don't use anything on the gasket, but most people use some sort of
sealer. I use either Hylomar or red RTV (silicone) because it is easier to
remove than CopperCoat. Just a very thin coat, maybe a tiny bit thicker around
the water passages. If there is corrosion on either the head or the manifold
around the water passages, it may be harder to seal. I tear a piece of cardboard
off of the package that the sealant comes in and use it like a squeegee to
spread the sealant around. Don't do it like icing a cake.

It seems like the key is to snug down the nuts on the lower studs first, then
snug down the upper ones, then tighten the bottom ones, and finally tighten the
upper ones. This starts the clamping action at the bottom of the manifold and
then pulls the top in.

As for the sequence, if your first round of tightening is just snugging them
down, it probably doesn't matter much, but I'd work from the center of the
engine out towards the ends.

I haven't found Loktite to be necessary, but YMMV.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA