Re: latest on the Ignition problem

To: "'Roadsters (E-mail)'" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: latest on the Ignition problem
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 22:28:36 -0700
Are you putting the wire on the POSITIVE battery terminal?  There should be a
heavy wire running from either the positive battery lead, probably through the
ammeter,
and going to the Alternator output connection.  This wire is the hot lead for
the electrical components in the car.  I think this is the wire you are
bypassing.

The ignition switch, lighting, and all other accessories, would be connected to
the alternator side of the ammeter.  That way any current flowing into the
battery will register a + charge, and if more current is being drawn from the
battery the ammeter will register -.

Many of these power sources radiate from the ignition switch because that is
where accessories, ignition, and the starter, are turned on or off.  The
ignition switch itself is fed power through a fairly heavy wire from the
alternator side of the ammeter.

When the headlights are on and you have the wire connected to the coil, do the
headlights stay go off with the ignition off?  If so you are bypassing the
ammeter connection somehow and providing power to everything through the
ignition switch.

Use your voltmeter, or power indicator light, to follow the power down the
ammeter lead towards the ignition switch.. You could start with the heavy wire
in the switch to see if there is power there at all.  If not you know there is
an open somewhere.  With your dash open it is possible that you have opened up a
connection somewhere and you just need to start at the source and work to the
end of the electrical path, from the end back towards the source until you find
the opening.

When you say battery indicate if it is positive or negative.  The same for
anything else.  You cannot get too detailed because your readers need to
understand what you are doing.  I spend about 40 hours a week listening to how
things are wired (T1, T3, Frame Relay telecommunications) and small details
really help to understand what I cannot see so I can tell the customer how to
use his equipment or get AT&T, Sprint, etc. to fix their equipment.  Who knows,
someone more familiar with your dash and wiring may recognize what you are
describing and understand your problem.

Tom