latest on the Ignition problem

To: "Datsun Forum" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: latest on the Ignition problem
From: "Datsun_Sports" <Datsun_Sports@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 20:26:11 -0700
    First - Thx Tom for the help!

    I wired around the ammeter and the car would not start. I did not even
get lights. I did have an interesting experience. I decided to try the
jumper wire again. I put one end into the battery terminal and the other on
the coil. when I did the lights would flicker. I tried this several times.
finally I pulled the wire the last time and they stayed on. I left the wire
on the battery terminal (not connected to anything else - just in the air)
and then tried to start the car. it started up and ran. I  the wire however
started to smoke so I shut the engine down and pulled it off the terminal.
my dad believes that it is a grounding problem. I have the dash pulled and
all the wires are hanging. I have gone through and replaced connections etc.
Do you know if the ignition system grounds to the dash at all? I know by now
everyone thinks I have a spaghetti factory going on but it all looks to be
in order now. The battery shows 12 volts but im wondering if it is the
problem. Can a battery show 12 volts on the meter and still be bad? I had it
tested 2 weeks ago and they said it was good. however these are the guys who
tested another battery of mine that showed good but when they pulled it out
of the tester there was fluid everywhere. had a crack in it. any help is
appreciated. I think when everything is squared away I will be able to apply
for a job at Nissan!

thx very much!

mike