Re: Mods, Upgrades, Thoughts

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mods, Upgrades, Thoughts
From: Thomas - Sweden <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 21:25:38 +0200
I have been to Technoclassica Motorshow in Essen
Germany last weekend for a look. Plenty of rare and
not so rare classic- and sportscars. No Roadsters
except for a poster on in the Z&ZX club Germany's
booth. On the subject of engine bay ventilation,
I got a chance to take closer looks to a few different
cars. Both the Mercedes Gullwing 300SL and Aston
Martin DB4 GT Zagato had large fender vents where
the inner fender behind the front wheel were cut out.
But the wheelhousing had a splashguard to to cover
the wheel from the vent outlets. The DB4 Zagato
had the airfilter box above the right side front wheel.
The body panels were attached to a thin steel frame
(Superleggera technique) and very different compared
to how car bodies are built today. This made it possible
to make all sorts of modifications while the body was
just a separate cover that could be shaped in almost
any way as long as it's big enough to fit over the
internals. The Gullwing was slightly different as it
had steel body panels compared to the DB4 Zagato's
aluminium sheets on steel pipes to hold the shape.
There was also a complete body jig made from wood
on display for the Gullwing. Mercedes had a 300 SLR
from 1952 on display to mark the 50:th birthday of
the SL model. Anyway, there were a lot of nice cars
to look at that most of us would never get a chance
to see anywhere else and I spent 2 days walking there.

Thomas