Re: Variable Valve Timing anyone?

To: "Gary Boone" <gboone@sisna.com>,
Subject: Re: Variable Valve Timing anyone?
From: "James Moore" <james.moore14@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:45:37 -0500
Electronically operated valves have one major drawback...noise.....ever sit
and listen to a modern fuel injected engine? Those injectors make a heck of
a racket. And those are just little pintles slamming shut. Imagine what a
sound those valves would make slamming shut.
The hurdles of electrical power are being overcome with 42V systems, which
are coming into production with 2003 model year I think.

There are many more things that can be gotten rid of with electrically
operated valves besides cams. Throttle plate, for instance. Engine speed and
power can simply be varied by leaving the valves open longer or
shorter...has the same effect...The starter...just open a valve..inject some
fuel and ignite it...the combustion without pressure is sufficient to turn
the engine....or some manufacturers are using a combined
alternator/starter/flywheel. If they can get the noise problem solved....the
latest thought is if they can control the current finely enough to have the
valves slow down as they seat....

To paraphrase Mark Twain (I think) "The death of the internal combustion
engine has been greatly exaggerated".

Jim Moore
69 2000 RHD
Dunkirk MD