Re: Do you remember your first Datsun Roadster

To: Eschcool2@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Do you remember your first Datsun Roadster
From: "John Peak" <johnepeak@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 22:51:06 -0800
Eschcool2@aol.com writes:

>So are you going to buy it back?
>
>If I had a chance to buy back my first roadster I would jump on it for
>sentimental reasons of course.
>
>Jeff E.
>69 2000
>68 1600 (first roadster long gone)

Jeff,
I did buy mine back.  I originally bought my '70 2000 Roadster in 1978 while
in college.  It was my daily driver for the next 10 years.  During this time
I also acquired a wife and daughter.  One day while driving my wife to work,
the rubber band that had served as a temporary repair to the accelerator
return spring broke.  It was decided (by my wife) that we needed a new car
now!  We bought one and the roadster took up residence in the garage. Two
years later, after my second daughter was born, there just didn't seem to be
any room in the family for the roadster.  Reluctantly I sold it.

I always regretted doing so.  One day many years later while shopping at
Costco I came across a book called "The Ultimate Classic Car Book".  In it
was a Datsun Roadster!  The Roadster is one of the ultimate classic cars?  I
had to have another.  Roadsters for sale appear in the local classifieds
about twice a year.  Hemmings had two listed for sale nationwide.  I didn't
know about this list at the time.  In desperation I looked up my records on
my original roadster and found a copy of the sellers report of sale.  It had
the name and address of the guy I sold the car to.  One day I was in the
area and drove past his house.  There was a car shaped mound of boxes in the
garage and the hardtop was leaning against the wall.  He still had te car!

I wrote him a letter explaining my feelings for the car and asked if
perchance he might be willing to sell it.  He called back and informed me
that it was indeed for sale.  When I went to see the car I didn't know what
to expect.  It had been seven years.  Other than the Earl Sheib paint job
(Really!) the car was just as I had sold it.  He had only put 400 miles on
it!  We agreed on a price and I bought it back.  That was five years ago.  I
have put about 6,000 miles on it since and will never sell it again.

John

he Ultimate Classic Car Book".