RE: Do you remember your first Datsun Roadster

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Do you remember your first Datsun Roadster
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 16:36:00 -0500
I was introduced to Roadsters by my best friend (the closest thing to a
brother that I have).  He dragged home a forlorn 1967 1600 from a farmer's
field and did a sort of frame off custom on it.  We were high school
students with no money, so you get the idea.  He did put in an AWESOME
walnut dash though.  I loved that part of it.

I got the bug and found a pair of them.  They were offered for $1200.  My
sister and I went and looked at them.  We offered $800 and it was accepted
(where to get the money??)  A few days later the woman that was selling them
called and said that she could not sell them for that, but that we could
have them for $500!!  Well, we dragged them home.  Both were 1967's.  One
was rusty but completely assembled.  The other was a little less rusty but
completely disassembled (down to the needles in the carbs)  I found a spare
engine for $50 and bought it.  My father and I rebuilt it and put it in the
car.  The engine was .060 over with a race cam, milled head and open header.
  It would FLY!!

In college, it started to nickle and dime me to death.  When a solid brake
line failed, I gave up and sold it in a fit of rage.  I have regretted it
since.

Sid