Re: OT- I ALMOST DIED TONIGHT!!!!!

To: <RoadsterGB@aol.com>, <csp311@telia.com>, <rrees@digitex.net>
Subject: Re: OT- I ALMOST DIED TONIGHT!!!!!
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 09:36:56 -0500
John's Cars in Texas has been making bolt in conversions for Chevy big and
small blocks into Jags for many, many years. No cutting required and
everything is supplied.

A guy I worked with in the early 80s put a stroked Chevy small block  in his
V12 E convertible after having nothing but overheating problems with the car
since the day he bought it new.

After the conversion he never had that problem.

One of the major probems with E types in the US was that they tend to run
very hot and if you got stuck in traffic you were dead. My uncle owned a 64
and had that problem as well as a host of electrical problems. To try to
resolve the problems the grill opening was enlarged ever larger with each
series of E types. Unfortunately the installation of the V12 only made the
problem worse.

The Jag 6s are great engines and very reliable but expensive to rebuild.

The problem with Es and other Jags was that they were relatively cheap to
buy but very expensive to maintain. Early E types had the performance of
Ferraris at half the price and of course the "look." Many people who bought
them didn't realize how maintainance intensive they were and often didn't
perform the scheduleded work.

Additionally, in the US people brought them to Joe Blow mechanic down the
block, and they knew jack about the cars and only compounded a bad
situation. Lucas also didn't help.

And lets not get started on those inboard disc brakes in the rear.

Mike