Air cleaner got loose...

To: " roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Air cleaner got loose...
From: "Dave Stoll" <dgstoll@mint.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 20:44:38 -0500
After setting the valves and gap on the points, we were ready for winter...
I noticed the other day, the engine  seemed to be lacking in response.  I
drove the roadster to work today and it would not rev into midrange rpm.  I
noticed when I started the car a knock like the exhaust hitting the frame on
the initial crank of the starter.
At the 9am break I went into town and got a new dist. cap, rotor and points.
Had them installed by the middle of lunch and tried out the parking lot
tuneup.  No change.
Pulled back into the parking lot and shut the car off.  What to do next?  I
started the car again with the hood up and noticed the knock again and it
was coming from the engine!!!   I leaned closer  and there it was....the air
cleaner back plate was hanging by 1 bolt and the other was still in the back
plate.  I bolted the plate back on and tried it out again at afternoon
break.  Wow does it run nice with all the tuneup parts!! (and no air leaks)
What really helps is that my lock screw between the fan and failed clutch
just wore out and the fan is no longer engaged.  When the daytime temps are
only in the 50s at best around here, the engine runs fine with no fan and
revs alittle better than usual...
daveS