Re: Stolen car woe's Help!!!

To: wittiner@ee.pdx.edu, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stolen car woe's Help!!!
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 04:49:15 EDT
> The problem the insurance company made me an offer on my car that was
> stolen for a amount I do not feel is enough. I have turned in to them the
> reciepts for the last 4-5 year (as long as I have owned the car) and the
> reciept totaled $5500 + not including things like role bar... They offered
> me $4000
> I wnat $5500 + Or for them to replace my car for me.

Hello,

The way I see it is they are not far off on your price.  Here is what I did.
;>)  I had a beautiful '71 BMW 2800 that I had just finished rebuilding.
Motor... interior... body and paint... etc.  It was gorgeus!  I was getting
it ready to show at the Monterey Historics when BMW was the featured marque
bach in '94 I think.

Well, on a nice Sunday morning ride a kid in a Toyota takes a curve too fast
and hits me head on while I wait at a stoplight.  The car is fixable but
according to the insurance company it was a total.  They wanted to give me
appx $3,000.  Hah...!  Yeah right!  I got out the phone book and arranged for
the car to be appraised.  The appraisal guys came out and did their work.
They photographed my car, documented my paperwork and then pulled out there
classic car information to get prices on comparable vehicles.  They gave a
rating on each category of the car such as exterior, interior etc.

Then they provided published documentation on how much other agencies would
price my car.  They researched different magazines and made copies of all
these things and put it together in a very professional looking package for
the insurance company.

After about a week it was ready for me to present to the insurance company.
They looked at the documentation and I walked out with a check for $12,800.
Oh yeah... a big smile too.

I think that AAA was also happy to get me off of their case.  I found that
the longer you drag out the claim the more they are willing to negotiate.
Afterall, how long do they want a pending file to sit on their desk?

I would suggest that you make a call to an appraisal company immediately.  It
can make a difference.  Have them appraise it for a few thousand more that
you feel it is.  Then readjust your claim with the insurance company to
reflect the appraiser.  Yeah... thats right!  Screw with them.  Let it fester
on her desk for a few days and then start leaving menacing messages about the
claim afterhours so that she hears your voice first thing in the morning.
Okay... enough Calspeed.

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
ps:  btw... I paid $90 for my appraisel.