RE: Alternator wiring revisited

To: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>,
Subject: RE: Alternator wiring revisited
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 19:02:54 -0400
I'm not sure how the ammeter really works so this might be a dumb question
but if you wire the alternator output straight to the battery the ammeter
only "sees" the batteries side of the circuit - hence it will only show a
discharge.  Can you wire the old alternator out put wire (fused?) to the new
alternator's output in addition to the new heavy gauge wire going straight
to the battery?   I guess the question is does the current have to flow
through the ammeter for it to measure or does it just need to sit between
the two and measure potential?  I'm assuming that the current actually needs
to flow through the ammeter for it to work.  If that is the case, does the
ammeter blow up at 30 amps?  That is, could you wire the new charging
circuit through the ammeter with heavier gauge wire to handle the greater
amperage?  If the ammeter blows up (or fuses internally) at 30 amps, can it
be modified to accept greater amperage?

BTW - judging from the wiring diagram, if Adam has the alternator on the
manifold side of the car would it not be better to route the heavy gauge
battery cable the Daniel suggested from the alternator to the big terminal
on the starter where the positive battery cable terminates?  That seems
cleaner than having two big cables ending at the battery itself.  Just keep
the new cable away from the exhaust manifold.

One more thing - my engine went to the machine shop today!!!!!!!!!!

Brian