Re: An ending and a beginning (advice needed)

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: An ending and a beginning (advice needed)
From: "Pam & Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 20:28:52 -0800
> What's wrong with putting screws in baggies and marking them?  Maybe
> someone like Les who has restored a roadster or two (...definitely
> more...) might know how to put eveything back together without little
> baggies and notes, but for me ...  I need all the help I can get.

It's not the archeological indexing of parts in baggies that is the problem
here. It has to do with the plating process. Large items like bumpers,
grilles and such are hung from racks and suspended in the plating tank.
Smaller items like screws and washers are barrel plated--that is, the items
are placed in a rotating drum and put into the tank. This method is called
batch plating and it is very economical from  the plater's point of view, as
many parts can be done at once with little human involvement.

The problem is that most plating companies charge a flat rate minimum for a
job, say $35.00. Up to a certain amount of weight, the cost is the same. For
smaller jobs, however, the cost is still $35.00. A lot of money to pay for a
baggie full of plated parts!

Most definitely inventory and photograph (a lot) your disassembly. But
submit in bulk any plating job--it will save you a lot of cash.

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA
67 1600
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=881168&a=6499541