Winter Projects

To: "datsun" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Winter Projects
From: "Nathan Ruffcorn" <nruff@famvid.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 12:26:15 -0600
Hey all!

It feels like it's been awhile since I left a post.  Its SO easy to fall
into "lurk" mode.  As always the list has continued to provide good
knowledge AND entertainment.  As a list we definitely seem to have good
balance!

With the cooler temps, the roadsters have been put away-let the fun begin!
I really enjoy driving the roadsters in the summer but I get most of my
grins from the restoration.   I have several projects on the cars and am
looking for some insight:

Rear Wheel Cylinders:  70 1600
Which car do they cross over from?  I remember seeing a post (I think Tom
Walters) regarding certain 510 cylinders crossing over?  It seems these are
much more readily available and at a considerably lower price.  I am
bending/flaring new rear brake lines anyway, so SAE/metric fitting crossover
is not an issue.   At the same time, we (this one is my fathers V-6 car) are
going to swap in a 3.7 rearend to hopefully keep the revs down just a bit!
Way to much fun!

Convertible Top: 67 1600 (2L)
I'm looking for a decent quality top and had a few inquiries.  We installed
a Whitney top on my fathers car and I am not adverse to another one.  My
thought though, is that I want a canvas top and maybe a zip-out rear window.
I have seen several on e-bay over the past few months that are NOS.  My fear
with these NOS tops are the windows and their age. Is this justified?   Is
it correct to assume that the new tops will have a higher quality, more UV
resistant (or whatever causes them to yellow) rear windows?  Second
question, am I asking for lots of trouble if I install it in the winter
rather than in the hot summer sun?  Unfortanately, with my new place, the
garage has no heat!
If anyone has a new low-screen black top they aren't using, drop me a line
with brand and price and I will definitely consider it.

Take care
Nathan
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=123299&Auth=false