Serious reply to "Coming Out" Roll Bars

To: "'Dat2000srl@aol.com'" <Dat2000srl@aol.com>,
Subject: Serious reply to "Coming Out" Roll Bars
From: Howard Fletcher <hgf@netro.com.au>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:14:33 +1100
The issue of using a softtop and roll bar is a valid one. Mine gets in the
way when I put up my top on my silver roadster, however it is still too low
to meet the Motorsport rule that the Roll bar must be 2" higher than the
top of my crash hat.  The answer is a non standard seat - in my race car
this is extreme - I have less than 1/2 inch of foam between by bum and the
floor.

The use of Aluminium tubing has been banned in all serious forms of racing.
(this is a message). A properly constructed roll bar adds to the torsional
rigidity of the vehicle so it not only improves safety but also handling.

Installation details of the roll bar are critical: check a copy of your
local motorsport rules eg SCCA rules or anyone FIIA affiliated (2000
version please as the technology of this safety has vastly improved in the
recent past).

Regards,

Howard