RE: ballast resis. more info

To: "'SPL311RDST@aol.com'" <SPL311RDST@aol.com>, datsunmike@nyc.rr.com,
Subject: RE: ballast resis. more info
From: Jerry Sharp <jsharp@newsouth.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 10:15:56 -0500
One point, the Petronix (sp?) that is occasionally mentioned on this site,
has two wires going to it.  It still needs the ballisted voltage (black
wire) going through the points, however, the red wire, which powers the unit
itself needs 12 volts, for it quits working at about 4.5 volts.  This wire
needs to be run to the front end of the ballast resistor.  The problem is
that the resistor basically halves the voltage, and if the voltage drops
below 10 volts, as it may after a hard start, (not saying that the roadsters
are ever hard starting), you are on the hairy edge of the unit dropping out.
I didn't know that they needed different voltaves, and finding out about the
voltage dropout, bypassed the ballast all together - both wires going to the
12 volts......smoked the unit.

jls